Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacement parts

• 05-03-2005 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have a hotbodies tornado nitro car. I bought it off www.rcvracing.com.

Recently the silicone coupling that joins the tuned pipe to the exhaust broke.

When I went back to the website I discovered that they no longer stock hotbodies replacement parts.

Does anybody know of any websites or model shops where I can pick one of the hotbodies couplings up or even suggestions on other brands that might do the trick?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

shane0312 wrote:
    When I went back to the website I discovered that they no longer stock hotbodies replacement parts.
    Did they carry spares before ?
    shane0312 wrote:
    Does anybody know of any websites or model shops where I can pick one of the hotbodies couplings up or even suggestions on other brands that might do the trick?
    cheers
    Good model shops will have generic parts like the silicone tube you need.
    Try www.greenhobbymodel.com in Dublin
    Before ordering note that some couplings have a 90 degree bend while others are straight. It comes in different diameters too ... measure the pipe end before going to your local hobby shop so to be sure you get the right type.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Tower hobbies are the biggest and best place to get parts in my oppinion. They are a american company but they are backed by years of experience. They stock over 59000 items from 400+ manufactures including hot bodies. You are better off to buy goods in bulk to keep the p&p down. www.towerhobbies.com

Darren_________Kilkenny

Plug wrote:
    ... You are better off to buy goods in bulk to keep the p&p down...

err ... can I ask : Just how many silicone tubings (you use one per car) would you suggest to get shipped half way round the globe then?
    How much postage do you save (if the local hobby shop charges NO postage) ?
    When do you need this 1" length of rubber... Is 4-6 weeks ok?
    Just possibly, maybe, today is better?
    I have found, in my experience, that "buying in bulk" results eventually in an awful lot of unused spare parts in the "spares box" Plug. When a model "dies" then the presence of that "unused parts stock" messes with my mind and influences my choice of the next new model, usually by pushing me to get another of the same, rather than the next one up in performance and ability.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What I mean is to buy different parts that are most likely to brake or waste(glowplugs, gears, etc) in bulk. If you send away for there sales flyer(free) they will give you $20 of your order of $50 or more. There was a thread a while ago called Tower hobbies oppinion, someone siad if you order small parts they will come in the same week you ordered and you wont have to pay vat at customs.

Plug wrote:
    What I mean is to buy different parts that are most likely to brake or waste(glowplugs, gears, etc) in bulk. .....

Been, there, done that, still got the parts I'll never use .... :mad:

Nowadays, I just try to get what I want this week and next week, today, locally. If it breaks, I can replace FOC.
    Simpler, easier.
    Ano no more mail order mistakes now, you know, the thing that looked great in a catalogue, but the minute I opened the parcel I got that sinking feeling in my stomach.
    I still have got some of those too. It's just the price of learning the lesson of what is the REAL COST of long distance ordering.

So now, if I can get it locally and the price is reasonable, that's what I do. If it's not available locally, or the price is wrong, I negotiate on price, and then order it locally. That way the backup is nearby. :)

Even though my job is working in a Dublin model shop (Green Hobby & Model), after much experience, I much rather go into another (competitor ?) model shop (like The Model Centre, Capel Street), touch & feel the thing I want, and buy it, than do a deal with someone I don't know.

It took me about ten years to wake up and appreciate the value of WJ Owens over the magazines ads. Everytime something didn't work properly, and I called in, and got free help, I woke up to reality a little. :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 313 ✭✭revo

coolwings are you norman ?

i just ordered a few new parts for the revo from tower costing 300 dollars got free postage as they give discounts. how long does it take to get here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

coolwings wrote:
    It took me about ten years to wake up and appreciate the value of WJ Owens over the magazines ads. Everytime something didn't work properly, and I called in, and got free help, I woke up to reality a little. :D

I thought Owens' shop closed down a few years ago? I used to get alot of my parts from there....now there's a model shop here in Galway though so there's no need (though in fairness I am not exactly flying that much right now so I don't need much) to look to the East :)

Fobia wrote:
    I thought Owens' shop closed down a few years ago? I used to get alot of my parts from there.......
    Willie retired last year Fobia. That centre of Irish modelling is no more.
    The airplane guys will miss him, tho he didn't do RC cars, far as I know.

revo2008 wrote:
    coolwings are you norman ?
    That's me :D
    revo2008 wrote:
    ..ordered a few new parts ... from tower ... how long does it take to get here?
    2-6 weeks, (depends on time of year I guess)

• Site Banned Posts: 313 ✭✭revo

ah now it all fits into place hahaha :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement