Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all dressed up and nowhere to go...

Options
  • 10-02-2005 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Okay, so here we go again. I am all ready for a night out and want to have a great night with cool music, atmosphere ...etc. I always go to Sallys where I have been going for years yet as it's full of CP heads lately (who dare to take our seats) I am getting agitated and restless. What to do? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Try upstairs in Richardson's when there's a gig on, or The Blue Note.
    Downstairs in the Cellar is usually good on a Wedensday or Thursday night.
    Mixed crowd, but good fun.
    It's also serving till 2am and there's no cover charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

notice the pillar at the bar ... mostly regulars go up the back ... mostly students down the front ... that said I've given up on sallys in recent times ... does feel a lot like a cp's stop off ...

It changed to a CP's stop-off when they stopped holding gigs for the local rock/metal/punk/NewNoiseCollective bands, and the new "clean" tiles were just the icing on the cake.

As regards regulars up the back and students down the front, that's not a very clear-cut definition.
    I'm a student, I'd consider Sally's one of my favourite pubs in Galway (even with the influx of graph-paper-shirt, buckle-shoe-wearing plebs), I don't usually go down the back cos I can't be arsed walking that far unless mates have grabbed a table or there's a band playing.

Funniest thing I saw was a girl (blonde hair, fúckme boots, miniskirt, the usual NEXT ensemble) putting money into the jukebox, selecting some random pop tune and wondering why it wasn't audible....until she looked over at the DJ in the booth.
    Classic smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

SyxPak wrote:
    Funniest thing I saw was a girl (blonde hair, fúckme boots, miniskirt, the usual NEXT ensemble) putting money into the jukebox, selecting some random pop tune and wondering why it wasn't audible....until she looked over at the DJ in the booth.
    Classic smile.gif

You'd be completely amazed at how often that happens, you really would.

Sally's ain't bad during the times CP isn't a factor. I'd stay clear on Thursdays or saturday nights, for instance. Like the good Mr. Pak said, The Cellar and Blue note are nice. The Rosin Dubh can be really great, too. They get some very good acts to play there every now and again, and I've always had a blast when I've popped in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 snowwhite

I don't really agree with the seating thing either. I have been going there regularly for years along with alot of my friends and we always sit up the front. Obviously we do venture down the back for gigs considering I knew most of the bands that played there. Gone are the days of the great gigs that were there and in O'Malleys.

• Advertisement

well been a regular about 8 years in sallys ... and its always been ...

students at the front ...

last few years ... the new noise crowd kinda in the center around the dj's box ... Dan still doing wednesdays in there ?

regulars from the pillar down .. with a mix of people as well ... thrown in ... people who wander in of the streets ...

Guess I tend to look on the regulars as the pool playing folk :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

i think dan is still doin wednesdays, he is pretty much the only dj that plays ant metal in there anymore, yer man locky plays mostly charty stuff, emmett plays 80s and nathan plays indie.
    saturdays are full of cps heads, say one askin the dj to play the killers he did and yer man went up again 10 minutes later wondering why he didnt play the killers
    ****in fools

might have to pop in tomorrow ... :)

you will know me when the Fear Factory or Type O Neg ... starts :eek:

sweet zombie jesus ..

was in sallys last night .. the place has changed ... the place has changed :(

so many cp's crowd ... and on a metal night as well ...

only recognised about 10 people in there .. :( ...

ah well it couldn't last forever I guess...

It's GMIT rag-week this week and NUIG Rag-week next week so there'll be a shower of them in there cos they reckon it'll be easier to get a pint/less crowded.

Also, the Nooig IT Ball was on last night, so there may have been more of them in there have pre-ball drinks....or something.

This is me being optimistic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement