Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakota? I know it's a long shot, but does anybody speak it?

Options
  • 02-02-2005 5:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I love the Lakota language, and was wondering if anybody spoke it, or even better, taught it? I tried to teach myself with Albert White Hat's book, but I found that I had so many questions unanswered that it made it difficult to progress. It's a beautiful language in danger of dying out, I'd love to learn it, but can't go to America to do so... does anyone know it, or know somebody else who knows it?

Pilamayaye

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Never heard of it. Who speaks it? (I presume some North American tribe)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Who speaks it? (I presume some North American tribe)
    Mmmm, some of the Sioux IIRC. Part of the Lakhota/Nakota(Stoney)/Dakota language group.

This site might be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Thanks Sceptre, I'll have a good look around that site, it seems vastly updated since I was last there, if it's even the same site. Still hoping there might be a native speaker in Ireland that might teach.. it's so hard to learn a language completely on your own, with no oral or aural feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LakotaMan

People of the Lakota nation, such as i, do not know very much, but we are still learning it, and maybe someday you will find someone who will teach you. I would, but i know only a little bit of the language (stuff like my traditional name, Tatanka, or buffalo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Thanks for introducing me to a new language - looks tough tho!! I knew the Dakota states were from Indian names but had never heard of Lakhota - nice to learn more about Native American Indian Culture via the boards. I might even avail of the name translation thing one day... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Pilamayaye LakotaMan, hopefully I'll find someone. Tuktel yati he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kaydeer

hte'yetu waste' Tonik'tuka he

Tak'u eniciapi he?

Kay emachiapi

I speak Lakotiya, and it was a long shot !!! LOL

look forward to hearing from you

wana mni'kte

To'ksa

Kay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stephndublin

I would like to learn Lakota is there anyone in Dublin that teaches it? I am going to order learning supplies but would need someone to work with me!

Stephndublin

Advertisement