Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Applications

• 27-01-2005 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently filling out my CAO and computer applications in dcu is top of my list, but I thought why not ask here for some help and advice and opinion.

I'm really interested in computers,games, software,hardware, building them, updating them learning how they work. I wonder if anyone from a students point of view could tell me is the course any good and wha tthe ygot out of it and what it does etc etc.

Would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Well thats what i'm doing, at this moment in time i have my last exam in a few hours, and my next lecture will be...... around october i supose,
    i've always liked the course. some people don't, the trick is to avoid ALL computer applications Social Events. join a club and go out places with them.
    i can't think of anything else to say.... i'd better study for this damn exam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

just finished first set of final year exams yesterday. fi thats the kinda thing youre interested in, then its the course for you.

dont do CA expecting to meet hot chicks in your class though, its mainly full of blokes. tis a good course though and not very difficult to pass once youre not dim and stay open minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Tyrrial wrote:
    the trick is to avoid ALL computer applications Social Events. join a club and go out places with them.
    There's no reason why you can't do both. Go to all the class parties, club/soc events and DCU events that you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

aw trinity.... indeed they have a similar computer course.. and you will come out there with a degree (same as DCU) and you'll also have fun there (as in DCU) but what you get extra in Trinity when you leave is an overwhelming pretentiousness that helps you to over power logic through your own Self Righteousness.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

in terms of computer science, the degree in trinity is far better, thats all im saying, its an established course, with a high academic level, and internationally respected research groups, (isg, dsg etc)
    Our young candidate has "Computer Applications" down, not "Computer Science" down as the course in question and to be fair they are different courses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

You can't study Computer Science in DCU. On the trinity open day we were brought around a pile of prefabs mascarading as computer labs.You're the first person I've seen give that course in Trinity preference over Computer Applications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Trintiy dont make me laugh!!!

Fine if you want to do law or med or even arts then trinity may stand out on a CV but really saying that it has a better computer science degree than DCU is absolute horse****.

And i didnt even do my undergrad in DCU, im from Cork where the general perception down there in terms of industry quality of the course is UCC<CIT.

Id go as far as the CA programe here is probably in the top 3 in the country
    Ok you may ask how do i know if i didnt do the course well i can tell you that it is a fine fine course.
    UL and UCD would be up there too

PS by the way there is a BIG BIG misconception about how better Trinity is than all the rest. In terms of teaching the NUI colleges are far superior then Trinity. It may have some of the biggest brains but if they cant communicate what he/she is trying to say then whats the point!!??
    Trintity imo is just a name.

And im speaking as a son of someone who has been involved in this for the last 25 years at third level and as a son of someone else for almost 45 years at second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah im doing compuer applications not science. TBH science was an aoption but atthe tiniry open day i was in a lecture to introduce it, and the lecturers couldnt get the laptop slides working, a problem i coulda easily fixed but didnt wna look the fag.
    Also the lecture was rubbish and was tlaking bout general crap, also you need honours maths, which they told ages in, at strat coulda saved me time sitting there.
    TBH i have a huge interest in computers and know so much already, just with the DCU course i get a sheet of paper telling everyone so =P But aswell broadening my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Amaru

Computer Applications is DCU's main course, and as such it is probably its best. In an independant european survey, DCU CA was found to be the best computers course OF ALL UNIVERSITIES in Ireland, and top 3 in europe. But the people doing the survey were probably biased because they didn't go to Trinity, right Humble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Amaru wrote:
    In an independant european survey, DCU CA was found to be the best computers course OF ALL UNIVERSITIES in Ireland, and top 3 in europe.

Really? Have you got the link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Amaru

Actually i don't. I read it about a year and a half ago, and it wasn't on the net. You could try searching for it being published on the net, but i'd say the chances of searching for it successfully would be slim.

Advertisement