Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water temperature.

Options
  • 10-05-2024 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭

We have solar thermal and solar PV with Eddie, eddi dissent need to heat hot water today but I noticed the thermal brought the water temperature to 71c, measured mid way on the tank, it’s 7ft tall tank don’t remember the volume.

What’s the usual temperature that’s enough and stop the thermal heating the water ??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Solar thermal tanks usually have a thermostatic mixer valve on the outflow to mix the tank down.(To make 70+c water safe)

If thermal solar is heating the tank, it's the whole tank.

I think there is a setting in the controller that would limit the temperature of the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

The sky's the limit if the HW demand is very low. I have flat plates and mine reached 78C today but I have the max cylinder temp set to 85C (on solar only) with a anti scald TMV on the cylinder outlet set to 60C, this high cylinder setting ensures that the solar circ pump keeps running and consequently the plates never reach stagnation temperature to cause premature degradation of the solar fluid, I have never changed mine in 13 years since installation. Evacuated tubes can reach > 250C during stagnation and should really have a heat dump installed but rarely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

Not dangerous/damaging to the solar system but obviously can result in scalding if no antiscald valve installed. There is a setting in the solar controller "max cylinder temperature" or words to that effect which then stops the solar circ pump at whatever its set to, the plates can reach temperatures of > 130/150C but this may may be lower dur to degradation over the years. What is the make/model of the controller?.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If it's in 14 yrs it would have reached that temperature on many occasions.

Are you noticing the hot taps are too hot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

your right. It’s possible it’s reached that temp before. We have an additional sensor on the tank so only seeing actual temps recently.

Advertisement