Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Energy Upgrade Loan Scheme

Options
  • 02-05-2024 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

SBCI have launched a new, unsecured, cheaper loan scheme for home energy upgrade(s)

https://sbci.gov.ie/products/home-energy-upgrade-loan-scheme

on first read through, it looks a bit complicated and PTSB are the only financial institution at the start.

the main concern for me is that it seems you can't just get the loan and choose your preferred provider - there is mandatory engagement with approved providers only - so like a lot of schemes, there's a possibility that it'll be more expensive

I had been holding out on this for a potential solar panel and battery system and had got a decent quote - it'll be interesting to see how the approved providers compare

Edit - from the PTSB eligibility page

"Solar photovoltaic (PV) installations are not eligible as an individual measure but are eligible when installed as part of a deep retrofit by a SEAI registered One Stop Shop, Energy Partner, or Community Project Co-ordinator."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

I had been sitting on the fence waiting for this, well I have other costs coming up that would trump a retrofit.

However when I saw the one stop requirement I stopped reading.

So it could cost towards 10k towards the oss for the management of an install of windows, mvhr and insulation. And of the 2 I dealt with a year ago, there will be a push to a ashp. Love the idea of one, can't justify the 20k outlay after grants, fecking microbore

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Really hoped this would be a zero interest loan from a couple thousand to tens of thousands covering all home upgrades. What a missed opportunity.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Agreed, that and the closed one stop shop. There's no value in it, would've been much better to be allowed to employ any vat registered business. What's the thought process behind oss only?

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

What ever you do don't use SSE going by the experience a friend is having with them.

Waiting over a year for them to actually provide installation dates and are still waiting.

They have had to constantly chase them and keep getting conflicting information since day one, and are stuck with a project manager that just seems to hate his job and have had contractors calling out to the house to scope works without contacting them first and then ringing to complain that they are wasting their time because they weren't home.

Advertisement