Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMA Sunny Boy Inverters

Options
  • 17-04-2024 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Torn between the straighforward 5kW Sunny boy and the 5kW Coupled Energy Storage (basically a hybrid)

From my understanding, the second one is a hybrid but has a limited amount of storage built in

Anyone got one or had one of these ?? Any feedback appreciated.

We live very rurally so have power outages 3-4 times a year in storms - thinking the hybrid might be a bit handier for limited stuff like the water pump / freezer in these scenarios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Is there any reason you are looking at SMA in particular? I ask this as someone who has several.

But if I was going with a single hybrid inverter it wouldn't be one of theirs. You will be too limited on batteries, very few high voltage ones available and they are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Spoken to someone who's done a lot of installs in Spain and swears by the reliability (the string inverters, Spain doesn't really go for batteries)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Loads of solar installs on this forum and those inverters are very very rare in Ireland. Inverters failing are also very rare based on me reading this forum for last 2 years. They all have warranties with the manufacturer too. Reliability thankfully isn't a deciding factor on inverters these days.

I'd suggest stick with the inverters the installers quote for. Then post the quotes on the quotes thread to get feedback. All the best with the solar hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,816 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got my first Sunny Boy there on Thursday, got it for €60. Unfortunately it all seems to work fine, but there is no AC output much, just a few watts. Mind this thing is ancient, 20 years old!

For the craic, I have setup with SMA tech support and logged a call about it. Warranty 10 years expired 😁

Advertisement