Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I entitled to?

Options
  • 10-04-2024 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have separated from my husband. We share custody 50:50. I am paying 1400 in rent each month which is half my income and I’m stretching it a lot! Just wondering if there’s anything I’m entitled to, anything I’m not seeing. Because everything seems to say of custody is 50:50 then you get nothing.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Give Citizens Information a call, they will know if there is anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

50/50 costs of maintaining a child/children.

What are you looking to get.?

Did ye both share a mortgage or was house sold and split profit 50/50.

Is he renting also.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jenbob85

a bit of help I suppose…I dunno.
    no mortgage as property owned outright so no he doesn’t pay rent. Not sold as of yet if at all.

We have 50/50 custody

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

There is not enough information here. Who owns the house he lives in that he is not paying any mortgage on? Does anyone else live there? Does he have the right to stay there long term? Are you planning to rent long-term? What assets are there from your marriage, have they been divided between you yet?

Separation is expensive, the incomes that paid for one home now have to pay for two homes. Kids need beds, desks, clothes etc in both houses.

we both own it technically yes. It was our home, I moved out. No one else lives there except him and our kids half of the time. No assets have been divided yet. I only moved out late last year. Only saw the solicitor for the first time last week. I would like to buy my own house eventually once the separation is sorted and things are split equally. I am aware separation is expensive, thank you. I am literally just wondering if I’m entitled to any lone parent payments etc but I don’t think I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

I've really no idea in that case what you can get. You own a home, but are paying rent as you moved out. I think the faster you get the legal aspects sorted the better. You need your half of the home, assuming that is what you are entitled to. If you are covering any additional expenses for the kids such as childcare, school fees and books, medical expenses etc, these should be split between both parents.

Could be also worth talking to citizens advice as mentioned by another poster or a visit to social protection to see what your entitlements could be.

thank you. I rang them this morning and it turns out it’s very likely I’m entitled to HAP which would be Great help until things are sorted. 🙌

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement