Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing replacement tubes for a Solar heating system?

Options
  • 02-04-2024 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Around ten years ago we had a Solar heating system installed - 40 tubes in total and it has always worked very well with minimal maintenance - Just one change of the Glycol in that time. (Probably neglected to be honest!)

The issue I have today though is that I have 3-4 tubes where the glass has cracked and I'll love to swap these out for replacements.

The original Installer is no longer contactable, so I am not sure what Manufacturer made the tubes - All I know is that the cylinder is Joule, am not sure if this necessarily tells me anything.

I rang a couple of the Plumbing Supply places but they reckon the tubes from this time are no longer stocked and I'd need to replace the whole 2 X manifold and buy 40 new tubes etc - Not sure if this is true?

Anyway just looking for some thoughts or advice here….. Is my next step to get a roof ladder and try and identify the tubes for a manufacturer or part number? Would this be stamped on them and is it visible when in the manifold etc?

I'd also definitely be quite happy to get replacement tubes from anywhere at all once they were in reasonable condition- I suspect they are being removed from roofs daily and dumped as people change to new tech solar systems. I tried Adverts and Done Deal but saw nothing so far….. I did consider calling the Solar companies to ask them if they be able to source them but not sure if they'd entertain the idea.

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated here.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Where abouts are you located? If in GDA I can pass on the name of my installer who relocated my solar thermal tubes to another roof when I was installing PV. He wasn't the original installer but was happy to take on the job. The PV installers cracked one of the tubes but this chap was able to supply spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi, anyone got the name of someone to service solar tubes pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hey Jonathan - Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, if you could please pass on a number I would definitely call him and hope it works out from there.

What worked for me was calling into a Neighbour who was happy to recommend the Guy who serviced his system….

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Can I also get number

Adding some information to this thread in case its useful to anyone or comes up on a search in future.

It seems that the Solar Tubes in my installation are a very standard 1800mm X 58mm so the good news is that sourcing replacements should be very possible.

That said however….. I still have not found anyone in the Munster area who can supply (at least) or supply and fit these. I rang all of the local plumbing supply companies but they don't stock them at all.

If anyone has a name (Business or a person) or a contact number please PM me.

PS - Also for the record I did get to speak with the Guy Jonathan recommended he was very knowledgeable, helpful and generous with his time - I'd definitely recommend him based on that good impression.

The only issue is distance as he is based in Dublin 15. (Jonathan had mentioned this from the outset also to be clear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Thanks for the above Daithi will give them a call - Appreciate the help.

I must just start ringing the rest of the Plumbing Suppliers in Munster so, surely theres someone closed than 2 hours away!

Advertisement