Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you schedule the Eddi to turn it off?

Options
  • 30-03-2024 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

so I have an Eddi that is getting the extra energy from solar but I don’t want the Eddi topping up the hot water all day long.

Now with the longer and warmer days, I’m happy enough to warm the water first in the morning and the at the end of the day.

Is there any way we can stop the Eddi from taking energy during a period of time everyday?

same as the boost time but reversed.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do you use Home Assistant? You can use that to turn the Eddi off after x kWh has been diverted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

it's not possible with the app but MyEnergi have a wish list thread for the app, so maybe add your idea to the list

https://myenergi.info/wish-list-app-f19/

there's also a beta testing thread as well which is more active than the wish list thread so might get the devs' attention more

https://myenergi.info/app-3-3-1-beta-testing-live-t12532-s80.html#p121680

Post edited by jkforde on

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

I don’t but that wouldn’t be the functionality I’m looking for either.

How reactive are to these suggestions? The only changed I’ve seen in the app since October last year has been a slight visual change. That’s all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What are you trying to achieve? When do you normally heat the water, when exporting or overnight? How much hot water do you use?

Home assistant would let you set up automations to turn it on/off according to various triggers (kWh as suggested above, or time, or temp if you had a thermometer).

Otherwise, perhaps you would prefer to sell the eddi and put a regular or smart timer on it?

You could also turn down the temperature on the immersion to use less energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just to clarify the original point (you may know this, and if so apologises, but not everyone is super educated with electrics). So the Eddi will only heat the water up to temperature. It'll take solar energy but once the water gets to 60c which is the default on most immersions, it will turn itself off and not use anymore solar until the temperature of the water drops back to maybe 56-57c and then it will briefly heat the water (5 mins?) back up to 60c.

Well insulated tank should lose maybe 1-2C an hour. Not sure what the problem is your solving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not exactly what you want but you can set a high export margin on it (say, 5,500w) with scheduled heating for early morning and evening. This way your EDDI will not engage during the day but the snag is it will draw from the grid if full 2.8kW not being generated from PV during your scheduled charging…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

I usually heat the water every day at the end of the night rate for an hour and that last with hot and warm water until the end of the day. If I want a shower let’s say around 10 pm and there was no sun in the whole day I need to top up the water between 20 and 40 mins heating the water before the shower.

I don’t want the Eddi to be topping up the water constantly during the day to keep it at a certain temperature. I don’t care if the temperature of the water goes down during the day a little bit. So I would need the Eddi to top up the water at around 5/6 again to have hot water for the shower.

Is Home Assistant free?

I’m aware of that but thanks for clarifying. I don’t need the water at that temperature the whole day and that’s the issue. I just need the water at a good temperature when I have a shower which is either first in the morning or at the end of the day and I don’t need the solar to be topping that up the whole day when I could be selling that energy.

Sorry I don’t get it. What do you mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Home assistant is free, bit of a learning curve but that improves with every release.

TBH it sounds like you are better off getting rid of the Eddi and putting on a timer switch, sell the Eddi on Adverts.

Otherwise @slave1's suggestion is good. You'll use it just as a fancy timer and always draw from the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I’m aware of that but thanks for clarifying. I don’t need the water at that temperature the whole day and that’s the issue. I just need the water at a good temperature when I have a shower which is either first in the morning or at the end of the day and I don’t need the solar to be topping that up the whole day when I could be selling that energy.

Yeah, I get you now. That said, if is drops 1C/hr and it needs to drop 3C before the thermostat kicks in and allows it to heat. Even at full whack (2.8Kw on most immersions or in about that range) then 5 mins @ 2.8kw ~ 0.25Kwhr.

It's not going to be using much to keep the temp of the water hot. If your like me and a purist who enjoys spending time to get the optimal solution via tech/process fair enough, but for most people they wouldn't bother I think :-)

If you set an export margin of 5.5Kw on your EDDI then the EDDI will not take any excess PV being generated until it goes above 5.500Kw e.g. if you generate 5.4Kw then it all goes to the grid and the EDDI gets nothing, if you generate 5.8Kw then 5.5Kw goes to the grid and the EDDI will take 0.3Kw to heat your water…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

That would be good, but will only work if you have just an Eddi and no zappi to charge your car too.

I too find that the EDDI has to be switched off before excess solar generation starts and switched on before timed heating starts.

I probably shouldnt have bothered with an EDDI, but its installed now and id have to pay an electrician to uninstall it, sell it and then pay buy a wifi timer and pay him to install that too.

I just find it a pith to have to keep stopping and starting the eddi.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes I am tempted to go back to my analogue timer that gave me 15 minutes of 'on/off' time so 96 variations over 24 hrs. I think the minimum slots with the Eddi are 40 minutes? When I made the decision to get one, it was about using the water as a form of storage for excess that would otherwise be exported for poor FIT. At the moment my Eddi trips out regularly but not always! so if I remember I will click it back during the afternoon to boost water temperatures for evening use. We still have a very old meter that turns backwards with exported units. We did not realise the significance of that when planning the solar system. That will change one of these days….

I have EDDI and Zappi with 5.5kW Export Margin set and all works perfectly. Have the EDDI scheduled heating at night rate and only takes excess above 5.5kW during the day

Does the zappi charge ok from the solar then with the export margin set that high?

Oh, no, if that's what you are looking for then no, there is one shared export margin set/shared for both your units.

I wonder though, if they are the new units then both have a hub built in, could you therefore have two "plants" in your house, the EDDI at high export margin and the EV at zero.

Mind you, you should be exporting it all and charging the EV at night rate (if you have a 108 Smart Meter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

I can turn on/ off Eddi on the myenergi app, if I click on the eddi, left hand side as I look it gives an overview of how much green energy today, under this there is a power button, click this and then go to stop mode. The excess now goes back to the grid, its handy if I don’t need the hot water that day and can turn back on the same way that afternoon.

Sometimes the car needs more charging than i get in the short EV window so better to do it with the solar excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 _BAA_RAM_EWE

Do you need to be home to use the app or can you log in from anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 _BAA_RAM_EWE

Timer switch is just to heat the water from mains at night if on a night rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Can use the app anywhere, handy when in work and go from the eddi to back to the grid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement