Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips about how to use heat pump?

Options
  • 25-03-2024 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I am a heat pump newbie, just moving into a new house in a month or two (A2 BER) that uses heat pump. I am just googling and learning things but I also wanted to ask for opinion of experts. So this is a 2 story house and I am the only person that will live in it. I go to work during office hours so I leave around 9 and come back to home around 19. I am not used to having hot water (apart from shower) from the tap. And today, to test if heat pump works fine, I just turned on the hot water in the kitchen and heat pump start working. And after I turned the hot water off (it was on for 30 secs), heat pump didn't stop working. I checked the panel and DHW was set to 48 degrees and current temp was 45.5. Before I turned on the hot water, heat pump wasn't working at all. Also the floors has thermostat and they were on, room was around 16 degrees and target temp was like 18 something. When I decreased the DHW to 45, heat pump stopped working (I just learnt that it's not really wise change the DHW to below 48 I guess, daikin says keep it 48 and some heat pump service website says you can keep it to 41 if you won't need hot water much). So here are my questions:

1-) Naturally, I won't be needing hot water during night time. Is it wise to set a schedule to decrease DHW during night time or turn off DHW at night time? And turn it on before like an hour or two before I wake up?

2-) Does Standard and Economy modes make any difference? What's the purpose of it? Does it just set the DHW temp to smth lower? (I have Samsung panel)

3-) As the house is new and empty (I didn't move in yet), is it good idea to keep the heating at 18 degrees? Or can I turn it off completely before I fully move in?

I figured out how to check the energy usage graph and it shows 180 kw just for March (in an empty house). Does Heat Pump really use that much electricity? What would be the best settings for having hot water for some part of the day (as I leave by myself) and keep the temperature of the rooms around normal values? Is it better to just turn off heating all day long and just schedule to turn it on before arriving home? Or just keeping it at 18-19 degrees constantly would be a better idea?

I planned to stay on 24 hour tariff instead of smart tariff (as they tend to be more expensive) but would it be wiser just to choose a smart tariff?

Thank you!

Advertisement