Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV - issues with daily Maximum Export Capacity

Options
  • 25-03-2024 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We recently got 11 new Solar PV panels installed with capacity of 4.78 KVA and choose not to go with battery for now. However, when we signed up to Microgeneration with our electricity provider, BGE, they have applied a Maximum Export Capacity on our account of 4.4KW per day (limiting max they will pay us for surplus generation to c. 81.3 cents) which seems crazy and not what we expected or were advised by our installer. I expected this might be hourly and not daily, but am advised not.

Having been directed to ESB networks they mentioned that all new residential customers since May 2023 have either a 6 KW or 11 KW MEC applied dependent on whether a single or 3 phase unit.

Can I just check if others have experienced this or are most able to sell back an unlimited amount of surplus generated energy to their provider from their residential solar PV? We have smart meter installed and operational.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Do you have these limits in written form? Not sure how you're going to post screen-shots of them with a new account though...

The reason that I ask - and I don't mean this in a negative way - is that you're using KVA and KW seemingly interchangeably and it would be best if we could see the original communication as this would help clarify some of the open questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rickyottobcfc

Thanks for that - BGE only show Maximum Export Capacity on our account at 4.40 KW. When we initially queried with their customer service they advised this is a daily threshold. However, I did go back after your point and asked to be put through to their Microgen team directly who confirmed that amount was a maximum per hour - so issue resolved thankfully. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OK, thanks for clarifing. So that's what I was kind of thinking.... its 4.40kWh (note the h after the wattage signifying energy over an hour).

But I still have questions... 😀 what happens of you export 5.4kWh in one particular hour, are they definately saying that you will not get paid for that excess unit... or could ot be that your inverter is just limited to 4.4kW (the power rating)?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

When the NC6 goes into ESBN, you get assigned your MEC.

Interesting that BGE is the only one that shows you it.

ESBN talk in kVA mostly as that's apparent power. For domestic kVA is the same as kW.

Measure of power.

kWh Is the measure of energy, 1kW for 1 hour is 1kWh.

I don't forsee any restrictions on your exports.

Since may 2023 the maximum on the NC6, on single phase hase is actually 25 amps, and that works out at about 5.5ish kW.

You only get a MEC if you have a nc6/nc7 form in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Thanks for posting this! Just got an install last week and was trying to figure out MEC. BGE for me says 'Maximum Export Capacity (MEC)5.00 KW'. I am guessing from the above that that's per hour?(thanks for clarifying @rickyottobcfc !)

When I first read it, I thought it was over a whole year and was baffled. Attached a screenshot:

There is also Deemed Export Quality..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭lau1247

Given ESB allow 25A for single phase, should they not allow it to go to 5.5kw limit instead of 5.0kw as the maximum? i wonder does that mean you won't get paid for the 0.5 during summer days when it is full on production.. Maybe if someone with BGE account that have 5.5kw shown can confirm?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭DC999

Not ideal if providers did throttle / restrict the FIT payment to the Maximum Export Capacity (MEC) from the NC6. I expect many here have a lower MEC from the NC6 than they have now due to expansion.

In my case, the installer couldn’t get the planned inverter (due to stock issues) and changed it out for a larger one. But the NC6 referred to the smaller planned one, not the larger installed one.

It’s easy for providers to set that threshold payment limit I expect, and reduces their costs as we won’t get paid above the limit. Won’t impact me as I’ve an E/W setup so newer hit my max. Might mean the heavy exporters here need to be mindful of what providers enforce this. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I was asking about changing plans. Supposedly you can't change to a day/night rate when on a smart meter, only to a smart plan. I'm sure I have friends on d/n with smart meters and not smart plans.

Anyways, this is how they answered the MEC.

Advertisement