Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I move to a smart plan

Options
  • 16-03-2024 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

good morning, I have a smart meter but currently on a non smart plan, house has Gas heating, and solar tubes for Hot water, but I also have 4.4Kw solar panels installed in 2022, and a 5Kw battery. At the moment I dont actively charge the battery as I,m on a 24nr plan with SSE which expires next week.

I have checked my smart meter, and my consumption todate is 1424 (night), 4449 (day) and 1074 (peak), so that equates to 21% Night, 64% day and 15% night, so using SSE's smart rates of 16.86/26/32.84 and the percentages it would be average rate of 25.17 and the 24hr smart rate is 24.90 so no real difference,

Based on Annual usage is about 2,900 units its only about €8 before vat etc.

With the battery I dont actively charge from the grid, but if I could charge at night and discharge during the day/peak rate then there potentially could be savings. I have calculated if I charged 750 units a year at night and even used during the day, then the percentage use would move to 47%/37% and 15% at peak (assuming discharge battery only during day time) the revised average rate would come down to 22.73 and compared to 24.90 then a saving of about €63, and greater if change to offset some of the peak units.

I know once you activate a smart pricing plan you cant go back, so is it worth looking to go on a smart plan, or stay on a 24hr plan,

Also just looking at who to get energy and gas (12,000KwH used a year), Energia looks cheaper, than current plan, even with existing discount rates, I have looked at Bonkers, and Flogas is cheaper, but I dont want a fix price plan, as I think Energy prices will fall in the next year, so dont want to lock in unit rate.

Sorry for the long post, but just wondering based on my usage and % split is it worth looking at a smart plan or stich with 24hr pricing.

Comments

Advertisement