Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get Day/Night Tariff with Smart Meter

Options
  • 15-03-2024 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm looking to get solar PV installed, with a battery.

I have a smart meter already but currently on a standard 24hr tariff.

Looking at pricing a non-smart day/night tariff is cheaper than a smart tariff (the day rate is the same, the smart night rate is higher and then there's the expensive peak rate).

My electricity provider said I have to switch to the smart rate if I want to export the excess solar production. is that correct that it's my only option?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Smart tariffs are where it's at now. Cheaper than D/N.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I dont know if they offer them, but I do have a Day/Night Smart meter. I dont have a smart tarriff though. I wont change on to one.

My MCC is desginated MCC02

DG2 MCC02 04

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No you can't (unless you have a RM108 smart meter, which would only have been installed if you were previously on a day night rate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What rate beats the 26c day and 12c night D/N rate from flogas? With 9 hours of cheap rate, not 2-4

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have PV + battery, a smart meter and recently switched to Electric Ireland - I wasn't forced onto a smart rate though, and I get credit for my exports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

Thanks.

Did you go onto a day/night rate with electric Ireland?

Were you previously on a similar day/night tariff?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Not previously on a D/N tarriff as I never had one of those meters. I think what your provider is telling you is that D/N is not available to you as an option, I'd suspect they are just not mentioning that 24 is an option for you (you might just have to ask for it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You don't ahve to be on a smart tarriff but you do have to be on a smart meter. I had a D/N meter but they stopped paying deemed exports back in November, and everyone who was exporting would have recieved a letter saying you can stay but you lose deemed exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

cheers. I guess the question is what type of tariff is generally best, in the case of having smart meter?

I would think of charging the battery at night at a lower price would be particularly advantageous and IF I cannot use a D/N tariff then a smart tariff seems better than a standard 24hr tariff

Advertisement