Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis Hybrid Inverter randomly charging battery

Options
  • 07-03-2024 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

due to a number of NO-Battery alarm reports on my Solis inverter, I was advised to turn of Time of Use charging to the battery (ie using mains during the 2am-5am off peak tariff to charge the 5kWh Pylontech battery). The alarms did stop.

The battery is only charged from solar for the past week or so. However, I'm seeing some strange behaviour where the inverter decides to charge the battery from the grid for 5-10 mins during the early morning - normally from a 15% SOC level, getting it back up to 20% SOC.

Anyone else seeing anything similar with Solis Inverter (hybrid 5kw)?

Is this something that Solis does to protect the battery - or does the battery call for a charge? I am not sure how the BMS in the pylontech works. In the past I've seen the battery hover around the 14 & 15% SOC and this behaviour did not occur.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, I presume it was the installer specifically who told you to turn off time of use charging as a potential solution to the battery disconnects, or was this just a temporary workaround or testing step?

Time of use charging is a basic function of an inverter and it should operate normally without triggering battery disconnects. I'd be getting back onto that installer and asking him when he's going to fix the comms issues.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ian123

the configuration change (i.e. turn of Time of Use) is/was a temporary workaround/testing step since start of March suggested by installer. I have (and they have) been monitoring the system since then and I just noticed these random charging events happening.

The reason for the configuration change was that I received 14 NO-Battery events during February on random days. I noticed that the inverter/battery was also not properly charging during the 2-5am off peak tariff interval ( not properly as in random start times, low power charging eg, 1kW instead of 3.3kW, not charging to 100%). The alarms did not occur at the same time that charging was acting up.

I would not expect the system to be doing this. Was installed in Aug'23

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was just afraid that they might have been trying to pull the wool. If they are engaged in the troubleshooting then that's what I'd expect. Did anybody replace or even reseat the CAN/RS485 cable?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'll need to double check but I think"no battery" is when the inverter doesn't detect a battery voltage.

Can fail is when the communication fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ian123

Was looking at the inverter web page, specifically the battery section, and noticed the "Forcecharge SOC" entry. This is set to 15%, and the explanation states

"Due to self discharging, the battery SOC may drop to lower than the overdischarge SOC setting value. When it reaches the forcecharge SOC setting, the inverter will charge the battery automatically to avoid battery entering sleep mode"

I think that this at least explains the "random charging" that I mentioned above.

The installer did mention that Solis had done a firmware upgrade on the inverter. The only data on inverter web page that looks like a SW/FW version number is "Inverter Version: 470045-010000". This maybe a new version?

• Advertisement
Advertisement