Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to report an installer to

Options
  • 27-02-2024 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all

We had solar panels installed but the installer has not come back to complete the job, despite being paid upfront for the work. At this stage, we just want a refund for the work not done. We have sent numerous emails and phoned him, and he's being even downright abusive in the mails. I can't find anything on the SEAI site to say who he should be reported to. I've emailed them to ask, but I thought someone here might have some good information for us.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surely he is RECI ?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 duvetday

He is, but their wesbite says that they only deal with electrical safety and technical complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

If he is SEAI registered for the grants then they can remove him as happened other installers who didn't do the job correctly. How long are you talking? weeks/months? How much actual work has been done and what's left to be done?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Small claims court possibly, but that has a limit of €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

So many of these cowboy installers going now. Got some quotes recently, they all want the money up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Please pm the name so I will know who to stay away from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

They need to be registered with SEAI for any installs where a grant is been applied for. You can contact SEAI and inform them as the grants would be invalid since the work is not completed. They carry out random inspections anyway so it wouldn't be any extra work for them. They can and will in many cases remove the installer from their registered list but probably won't be of any help getting your money back. Although they may push the installer to finish the job. RECI will only get involved if there's an electrical safety concern or something that doesn't meet regulations involved. Depending on what the installer has left to finish it might actually be a concern for them, especially if there's any wiring left loose and not properly terminated or isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

What's working and what is not? If solar is working but they just haven't showed you what to do to see the stats, we can likely help.

My installer didn't fix snags but finally agreed to discount it so I could get another sparks to sort it. But solar was working bar small snags. Was annoying having to chase them.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. It's more than a year but I have documented all the calls and emails chasing him. I just couldn't see anything on the SEAI website about removing approved installers, so I have emailed them about this too.

Thanks. Everything is working. He just hasn't come back to put the last couple of panels up. I'll probably have to pursue through Small Claims Court ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement