Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can landlord refuse to add spouse into lease agreement

Options
  • 30-01-2024 6:23am
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

I’m in a council housing under a housing association. I moved in back in 2021 with just my 2 small kids in a 2 bedroom.I have since found a partner and we are engaged. I asked them if I could add him to the lease and it was rejected. I recently gave birth and they still refuse for him to move in with me. I need help with the kids and it’s affecting me emotionally and especially now I’m still trying to heal after birth. Can landlords refuse as he is my partner. I mean we cannot be living seperate. Also we have been trying to find somewhere else to rent with no luck.

Post edited by Spear on

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Is there anything to stop him simply moving in, and contributing to the rent?

If (God forbid) you were to die, as your cohabitant living there for at least 6 months (or as your spouse living there for any lenght of time, if you were to marry) he would have the right under the Residential Tenancies Act to take over the tenancy. So while it may not be possible to force the landlord to add him to the lease, effectively he'd have the same rights with respect to the landlord as if he were on the lease.

On edit: If he does move in, you are obliged to tell the landlord. But you would want to do this anyway, so as to provide evidence that he was living there, should he need to take over the tenancy.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Isnt local authority housing exempt from the RTA/RTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

OP is unclear, but I think they are renting from a housing association.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Contact Threshhold for advice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement