Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planing to replace 2009 solar thermal: Does it have a second life?

Options
  • 27-01-2024 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Just asking the question? I may have a used 30 tube Kingspan DF 100, pump, controller and expansion tanks available soon. It is from 2009 and all the tubes are working. Has it a second-hand value? I have looked online and cannot see anything. I assume that someone wants spares. Otherwise how does one responsibly dispose of it? 

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

i have a 2014 joule system I am thinking of the doing the same. Alternative is to ground mount a PV system which seems a lot more complicated and likely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭blackbox

As a matter of interest, over the 14 years that you owned it, did you calculate how much it saved you?

I'm guessing that you are upgrading to a PV system. Why not keep both?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Keep both thermal and PV if you can. I got my thermal system relocated to my kitchen extension roof when I was getting PV installed. Both happily co-exist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Left mine in situ and built around . Bought extra panels same size at wattage for when I decommission can add to the string. I had to service the thermal recently so hopefully last a few more years . Next time they break down their gone

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Many thanks, the run height from the panel to the tank is 13M and seems just too long for the system. After multiple attempts at rectifying it, it still seems to take in air. Nobody can find the real cause. Have I got my money back? If it was not for the service bills I would say yeah, specifically in recent years. Treating it as sunk cost now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

@deegs might be interested in the pump controller and some other parts if you do decide to get rid of it.

Advertisement