Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Largest kW domestic allowed

Options
  • 25-01-2024 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance, had a look on Google/boards cant find answer.

Has the maximum allowable KWH for domestic in Ireland been increased recently?

What is the max ( within reason of course ) I can go to, is it a big hoohaa to go above the standard ( was is 9KWH ) and also is it safe to install etc.

I understand I'd need more battery storage etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In theory, up to 49kW instantaneous, NC7 covers installs above ~5.5kW

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/generator-connections-group/mini-generation

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

To be pedantic.

There's no kWh limit of battery storage.

But the question you have, is the inverter capacity. ESBN talk in amps and VA for single phase on an NC6 it's 25 amps (works out to be about 5.7kW, 6kVA, no export limiting )

Nc6 is free

On an NC7 the limit is 72 amps, 17kVA, but there is a cost to the application, no guarantee it will be accepted, and still may have the same export limit as if you had an nc6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I didn’t realise there’s a €977 non refundable application fee. Rather steep, given I assume they could conclude that you can’t connect and retain the fee?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I don't have any source or proof, there's not many here that has gone down the nc7 route.

I dare say the worst case will be that you would be export limited to 25 amps.

Oh and you can't pass your MIC (generally it's 12kVA)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Thanks for the comments.

Probably better I keep it within 'normal' limits so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I heard that you might not necessarily lose your application fee, and they can give you between 12-17kva if there is no capacity for 17 but again just what I heard from my installer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Too risky to go on hearsay, lets wait and see on our first Guinea pig @mp3guy from scant memory

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TerraSolis

To chime in on this, it is entirely possible that you drop the application fee and that your application is refused. However, there was a real willingness from ESBN to 'make it work' as best they can.

You can mitigate the risk by examining a few aspects yourself to determine the "strength" of your current connection and doing a much more approximate quick desk study.

One important thing to consider in terms of my takeaways from the NC7 process:

Let's say you had a 12 kVA connection and you wanted to connect the maximum amount possible (in this case 12kW of inverters as your MIC will set the upper bound here). Your application is more likely to be successful with 4x 3 kW inverters than 2x 6 kW inverters as harmonic emissions from multiple inverters can be out of sync and cancel each other out (good), whereas fewer larger inverters experience this to a lesser degree. IE more small inverters are better than fewer large inverters for an NC7 application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Still waiting on my MIC upgrade to be completed. Everything lined up, just waiting on scheduling. Then the NC7 goes in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement