Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV - upgrade CU fuse box?

Options
  • 03-01-2024 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am currently pricing to get pv solar installed on the house and one thing I have not yet seen much detail around is whether it would trigger an upgrade of the existing fuse box?

Are these costs typically included in quotes without being specified? Or is it a hidden extra that installers will be 'suprised' to have to tack on once they view the property? If yes, what sort of costs could be anticipated?

House is 18 years old, 1x 63ma RCD protecting 5x MCBs covering all sockets, showers, oven, boiler etc with no RCD protection on the lighting side of things. My understanding is this was fine for the era it was installed, but wouldn't be up to modern functional spec.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

Yes, room left the equivalent of roughly 7 more MCBs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm not a RECI but my understanding is that is fine. There are RECIs who frequent this forum who might be able to confirm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

"I am currently pricing to get pv solar installed on the house and one thing I have not yet seen much detail around is whether it would trigger an upgrade of the existing fuse box?"

If the distribution board is in need of an upgrade it would be unwise to add anything to it including an inverter. There is nothing in the National Wiring Rules IS10101 that states that a distribution board upgrade is mandatory.

If you have concerns I would suggest that you get the installation checked by an experienced qualified electrician that you trust. Don't just pick any random REC (Registered Electrical Contractor), some of them would simply take the piss.

"Are these costs typically included in quotes without being specified?"

No such thing as a free lunch. If concerned I suggest that you ask the installer to carry out a detailed survey and provide a cost estimate inclusive of all works required at the distribution board.

"what sort of costs could be anticipated?"

How long is a piece of string? Most solar panel installers just want to get in and out the same day and have little or no interest in making extra money with distribution board upgrades.

"House is 18 years old, 1x 63ma RCD protecting 5x MCBs covering all sockets, showers, oven, boiler etc"

According to the regulations at the time a single RCD for all socket circuits and the immersion would be acceptable, lighting circuits did not require RCD protection back then. Generally in a house of this age I would expect 2 lighting circuits (minimum), at least 4 socket circuits, a cooker circuit, an immersion circuit and a boiler circuit. Instantaneous showers (8.5 kW or more) should have a dedicated RCD + MCB or a single RCBO. Current wiring rules require more than this but these new rules can not be imposed retrospectively on older installations. However all new work in a new installation would have to comply with the current rules.

In my case my distribution board was very badly installed by a REC. It was in dire need of an upgrade. For this reason I replaced the board prior to my solar install. I did go OTT as I am an electrical engineer and electrician. I installed an RCBO (MCB and RCD combined into a single unit) for every circuit, added surge protection and AFDD's (Arc Fault Detection Devices) for all socket circuits. Not cheap, but it provides my home with far superior protection and I got the components at trade price / free.

"room left the equivalent of roughly 7 more MCBs"

Sufficient space for solar requirements so.

On another note the relationship between RECI and Safe Electric is no more. This means that REC's no longer need to register with RECI.

Edit: Photo of distribution board as requested.

Post edited by 2011 on

Advertisement