Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal cameras

Options
  • 04-12-2023 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

What standalone thermal imaging cameras or add-ons for android phones are people using that 1) work well and 2) don’t break the bank? There's a million of them on Amazon.

I’ve a infrared handheld laser thermometer yokey that was ~20 quid. Point it at a spot and it tells the temp. But can’t show the heat loss of course, or a heatmap on an area like around a window or a wall. 

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Can you set a reference temperature on your handheld temperature sensor? I can set one on mine and the screen will light up red, green or blue depending on how much hotter/colder the current temperature is from the reference temperature. Not a flir by any means but gets you most of the way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I have a flir one pro LT. An expensive bit of kit but if used correctly could save you money in the long run by identifying cold spots in the buildings fabric. This will allow you to target those areas where heat loss is greatest.

The camera can always be sold afterwards.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Just borrow one from your local library if you only want it for a short while: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/want-to-save-money-on-home-energy-go-to-the-library-1.4803180

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Librarys dont have the thermal camera, just the IR gun that tells you the temperature, that OP already has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I bought the FLIR USB-C add on camera for my phone black Friday last year on amazon, resolution is fine works perfect for what i need, if i had €10 for each time ive loaned it out it would have paid for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

At the end of the day, a thermal imaging camera is just a tool of the trade and in my mind, it's not the type or quality of thermal camera is important but rather the expertise & experience of the person holding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Fair play Jonathan, I forgot it does have that. I couldn't see the reason to use it at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I bought the Flir Pro android about 5 years ago. Was grand. Then flir did an sw update and fucked the camera app it needs. It now no longer works with any phone I have. Shower of **** tbh. There's threads and threads about it.

I personally think they shagged older models on purpose to force new buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Good point, thanks Mick. I’m not trying to take from the pros here, and I know you’re well clued in within the energy world. It’s more for me to find the obvious stuff.

I'm looking for the less expensive + low handing fruit like sealing gaps. Which internal walls to insulate first, if we did it... And also being mindful of not creating other problems like mould or a lack of ventilation. IR camera I have now will work after Jonathan reminded me of the setting with the reference temperature.

We got solar and a 2nd hand EV last year so the money tree is gone 😊. Will be DIY work

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have one of these

It's fine for what I use it for. I don't specifically do thermal imaging reports, but sometimes I'm asked in my day to day to assess issues such as cold rooms, mould growth etc.

I actually had it out last week in house from the early 2000s that had ufh. One room was constantly about 5-10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. The house has recently been upgraded with a new heat pump and the clients were very worried that the heat pump was undersized (tropical first port of call for worry about heat pump in a retrofit).

Turns out that, after I did a thermal imaging assessment, the ufh loop fit that room wasnt working at all. I could see the loops in the rest of the house but nothing in that room

At least it gives the plumber a starting point to resolve the issue

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Advertisement

Annoyance about my Flir prompted me to relook at it again. Hasn't worked in over 2 years would prompt the app. Checked various old apks on android.

So took it apart unplugged everything got another old apk and plugged back together I think I power cycled the battery charging circuit because I got it working again. Happy days. Still think the micro battery is goosed though. And still don't trust Flir they're customer service has been rubbish on this.

There is a relatively cheap thermal one on Vevor EU 250eur op. They make alot of good value equipment eur.vevor.com as with anything research them for reviews.

Flir are incredibly finicky. I fortunately have a phone which works however it won't take photos. Every time I press the button nothing happens....no problem with the video function.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sligobuck

Seek Thermal compact cameras which plug into your phone are very good and I have used one for several years for electrics, electronics, automotive, heating and house insulation projects.

They have gone expensive in recent years but if you are going to make good use of one then I would recommend the compact pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Size doesn't matter, its the way you use it kind of a thing 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JayBee66

I have a UNI-T UTi260B. Either from Banggood or AliExpress. It was sent from Spain.

It's a standalone camera, which I prefer to phone add-ons. Takes photos on microSD. Blends with actual image. Gives temperature readout.

I use a lot of UNI-T devices and am always happy with the quality.

I bought it for vintage electronics repair (can spot hot resistors or bad valves) but great for cold spot detection around and outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I ordered a USB-C one from Aliexpress recently, $100 USD including delivery.

HT-102 model. Has some decent reviews. I don't expect it to be as good as a Flir or similar but will work for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

any update with how you got on? would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Aliexpress cancelled the order about a month after ordering and refunded me so I still don't have one.

I have reordered from a different supplier but don't expect it until early/mid February.

• Advertisement

Buy it on amazon. Use it . Return for a full refund. Simple.

Seems reasonable value versus the units available.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fael

Apart from being ethically moronic. It's just making everything more expensive because it will cost the retailer money and that will be priced into their costs.

But hey it suits you right?

What a clown , Its Amazon ..... Nobody cares . Least of all, them.... I am an Amazon customer since 1998 with several thousand orders. 242 alone on 2021. I am not business just a regular joe.

Advertisement