Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling out a battery terminal.

Options
  • 08-11-2023 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Overtighten a nut on threads and it snapped. It's a brand new cell would be a shame to dispose of it there is currently a small bit of thread. Anyone able to help.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

can you get a nut onto it, then another bolt into the nut (an extension of sorts), you can always weld two nuts together to give you more depth for small bolt

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ddonq1412

When no busbar attach I could add a nut to it. When bus bar added I can't screw anything

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Vice grips?

Edit, realised it's not a screw in stud?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ddonq1412

Yeah i think it is welded caps added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Well as the cell is kinda ruined anyways, I would grind the stud flat, center punch it and drill a 6mm hole about 6-10mm deep - May or may not ruin battery of you go too deep, tap it and use threaded bar, then a nut on top of that then busbar, then another nut and tighten against first nut so as not to ruin the threads on the new tap.

Option 2. I would once again grind the stud down then grind the second lip down so that the diameter matches the first lip, use an M14 bolt(guess) to cut threads in the soft alloy in the pole sticking up, then weld a stud to an M14bolt and thread it on.

Option 3 has a kind of Kaboom! feel about it: Grind the stud off and then use threaded bar, get 12v battery and positive to stud and negative to the base and spot weld the stud into place.

Option 2 is my favorite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭oaklands

vaguely remember a youtube video covering this...but not sure who or if it was the same style stud. Try looking at off-grid-garage or will prowse. ...see below

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭oaklands

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd weld 3 nuts together then screw in to whatever thread you have left, you can use a short cable run in lieu of busbar for just that cell

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement