Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone's inverter do a restart before sunrise?

Options
  • 03-10-2023 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

On those odd occasions when I have been up before sunrise, I sometimes hear the inverter click. I go into the utility room to see that the inverter has switched off and the mains has taken over powering the house. A minute or so later the inverter switches on. What it's doing, I don't know. There are no error codes on the inverter. I won't mention the inverter name as I don't think that's important.

I just wonder if others see this anomaly with their inverter or know why an inverter would want to do this.

The only thing I can think of is the voltage of the panels is rising over a threshold during twilight. Again there are no fault or warning codes on the inverter so I don't think the inverter is worried about anything but I worry that with contactors/relays switching on and off they will eventually fail, being electro-mechanical. I am on my third fireman's switch to know that electro-mechanical devices have a limited lifetime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

The inverter only runs from Solar or battery so each morning as the sun hits the panels it powers up the inverter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

In the winter ive seen that, it thinks it has enough power to start, then tries to start, then actually doesnt have enough, so it turns off again..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yes, my inverter will do this too, completely normal. Likely doing some internal calibration to ensure it can synchronize its output to that of the grid when the panels start producing.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

My inverter is on 24 hours a day, save for the two minutes it does the restart.

At least, it appears to be. The green light is on, rather than the green off-grid light or red fault light.

All three lights are off when it does the restart.

Advertisement