Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof repair / new tiles with solar PV system

Options
  • 17-09-2023 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Random question, we have a 4kw solar PV system in place, but now because of family circumstances may have to convert the attic in the next 12-18months. If doing so, we'd like to replace roof tiles given the investment a conversion is as they are quite old - I presume we would have to get the solar company out to remove (at a cost) and reinstall pre and post works?

Also, when I was thinking about this - if a leak ever appeared under the solar install, how would it be repaired?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The panel were installed by roofers, so they should be able to remove them as well to repair or replace the tiles

You'll need to lower everything off and possibly disconnect the string from the fireman switch

Dunno if they can unclamp a single panel without taking the whole row out, probably depends on how much space is left on the rails

I guess the panels should give the tiles some protection so in theory they're less likely to leak

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

Q1: Yeah, get the solar installers to give you a price to remove and later replace. It's going to be expensive I'd guess as it's a complete remove and complete reinstall. Might need their sparks to disconnect too.

All installers are flat out, they won’t tile a roof. Our installers were not roofers. They knew enough to install the panels and are doing it a long time. So they are trained but not qualified roofers I’d expect. To lift heavy panels, that can move in the wind, onto a roof takes a physically strong person – different challenges to fitting tiles.

Q2: If there is a leak, you’d see could it be found from inside 1st. If the leak is a tile that is well under a panel, you may need option 1 again to get the panel down and then back up again. But if it’s at the edge it might be accessible to be moved and then reseated.

I’m in same camp as Amazing_R thinking the panels are in fact giving the tiles some protection from the elements.

We’ve had 1 roof tile that moved in the 20 years I’m living here. That was on the edge of the roof (where panels wouldn’t be) so maybe that part gets more wind. Roofer came out and sorted it. Plus 1 leak that needed a section of a flat roof replaced. That was pre solar. 1-2 of my panels would of needed to be removed for that.

Insurance policies typically cover major leaks / water damage – ok, cost of policy increases of course. But can work out less expensive to claim the insurance. Tell your insurance company you’ve solar. I did and there was no change in cost to my policy. 

Advertisement