Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Brenner' has long since been told to get his equipment looked at. Should check the old sources that give him his hot takes on what's going on behind the scenes too maybe? 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Have the two of you considered relationship counselling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Weak interview with James Blunt this morning where a good few of his jokes and quips didn't land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes it was, Blunt was not a good interviewee though.

Rightly or wrongly I felt Callan never warmed to the Blunt once he had form in the British Army.

Callan can be a good interviewer in fairness but the rapport with Blunt and yesterdays Adrian Chiles interview was chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Was Chiles talking about going from being a 60 pint a week man to being an 8 to 10 pint man?

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Or any mention of the benefits of a urinal in the home?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It’s a very solid suggestion worthy of consideration. I like Chiles in general. His Guardian column isn’t trying to answer the “big questions”, but instead deals with the mundanity of modern life. Might give it a listen on catchup later.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Gave this a listen. Good interview and Callan was relaxed and asked the right questions to keep the interview flowing. Mostly importantly he wasn’t trying to be funny. People know my opinions on his disastrous attempts at that. But as a light-entertainment radio host? Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Bluffer. Now you've "applied" for radio mod, you think Callan is not bad for a radio host. You hate listen to him, and bitch about him non stop. The proof is here on this thread, ever since callan took the job from that horror tubridy.

Do you believe the lies you are telling? Crazy stuff dr philes.

Callan taking a cut at Sinn Fein this morning, Brenner.

What did he say? Was he doing his impressions or was it some of his “withering” commentary?

He was trolling, Bobson. Do you know what that is?

I agree. Nothing different to what he does when other parties are feeling the heat.

I’m aware of the concept for sure. Might give it a listen later.

Heh heh…..In the total fuhherke fest that is now in SF Callan tries to turn it into an anti govt spoof on RTE 1

this morning. If anybody is in any doubt about his politics this one is blows it wide open.

So he balances his monologue and doesn't side with anyone and he's now shown his 'politics'?

The lad can't win with you Brendi.

Francis, it’s not a matter of win or lose .It’s articulating the facts.

Francis I often wonder if you actually listen to the discourse on these programmes , or if you just hit on the opposite view to what’s posted and try to get a couple of pages out of it..

I couldn’t, like a lot of other posters, be bothered arguing with you when your main platform for debate is arguing that black is white.

Now get back to the crease trying to ‘defend’ SF’s recent handling of the stuff that has them on their knees.

• Advertisement

Why won't you ever deal with the point made?

He balanced his review of events this morning.

Of course you only heard, yet again, what you wanted to hear to enable the continued character assassination.

He had a laugh at SF and had a laugh at the government.

No he didn’t and you know it.

Referring to a Govt minister in the context of a ‘dead sheep’ was hardly “having a laugh” but maybe your warped view thinks it was.

The expression was used in British politics as a complete insult so how it becomes a “laugh” in Ireland has me puzzled.

Francie you are in denial mode again here, so I couldn’t be bothered progressing this further.

Don’t waste my time, bubb.

Humour is subjective as is satire.

He started his riff having a laugh about 'cliches' used by ALL of those in government (including, 'abundance of caution', 'kangaroo courts', 'let me be clear' in reference to the SF leader and then referenced a famous (and IMO one of the wittiest political cliches) about a UK government minister 'savaged by a dead sheep' in reference to a government minister here.

That makes him politically biased apparently. 😁

Taking a listen here. Wasn’t bad. Fairly generic morning palaver. The Cavan accent wasn’t terrible. Then Dessie Cahill came on, so that was all I needed to move the dial to Newstalk.

so that was all I needed to move the dial

Congrats on discovering your free will. You can now live happily ever after. Carry on. 🙂

Oliver extends hand of friendship to British royals. The Brenner implodes.

• Advertisement

Always had my free will. I never listened to his show, have decided to listen to it occasionally, thinks it’s actually ok, still think his impressions are an absolute embarrassment, and will move the dial very quickly if some guffawing craic merchant like Des Cahill comes on.

You are a 'normal' radio listener now. We all do that.

'Don't like this bit, come back in a bit and we'll have something else'.

Great isn't it?

Sorry. As usual, I’m not really getting the point you are trying to make? I’m not a “hate listener”. I said I’d give this show a chance and it’s fine. Sort of generic radio jam between the current affairs slots. Won’t become a regular listener as there’s always the chance he might start doing his cringe-inducing impressions, but if I hear there’s an interesting guest then I’ll tune in.

“hate listener''

Never used that term Bobson, so don't know why you have it in quotes.

You are a normal listener now exercising your free will.

What are you on about Breener, have you drink taken or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Awh now Bobson, you might not be a hate listener. But you are a hate poster.

I know some people like to paint you as a re reg, some sort of troll, or Noel Kellys representive on Boards. But me, I think you are just boards plant.

Drop you in to a few threads so that they can get some traffic. With out you, this thread and the Tubs thread would be dead. Things are getting a little slow, so you pop and drop a turd in the punchbowel.

Nasty and untrue thing to say. The radio forum exists to offer perspectives and debate on our radio shows. I will certainly continue to do that. You'll be forever looking for a post where I've moved beyond criticism of the show itself into anything to do with the presenters' personal life, looks, family, level of educational attainment etc etc.

So I can say the few times I've had to listen to Callans Kicks I've found it about as funny as seeing 10 missed calls in the middle of the night from your mother. I can also say I've listened to the 9am show a few times this month, and actually thought Callan was pretty good overall when he wasn't trying to be funny or doing his genuinely poor impressions. I think he's actually good at the slightly longer-form interview format. Not a patch on Brendan O'Connor, but that's a different slot with a different mandate.

You'll never see me remarking on what Callan does when he leaves the studio, what books he likes to read, his appearance, or the sincerity of what he does.

That's the difference lads. I don't think it is right, and I think it needs to be dealt with in a much more aggressive manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Oh come on Bobson, you have to be one of the top posters across Boards.

As for

" what (Ryan) does (When)he leaves the studio, what books he likes to read, his appearance, or the sincerity of what he does"

I appreciate what you’re saying. But what is being critisied is Ryans on air persona. I know multiple people who know Ryan and on air Ryan is very different to off air Ryan. Everything that is being critisised is part of that on air persona. Being frank, I think you have a bit of a cheek saying people do not have a right questioning his sincerity. This is a man who on air spoke about taking a pay cut as part of a company wide initive and how it was effecting him. People do not like being lied to.

Only for the truth of the matter to be that his RTE had found a convoluted way for a third party to make up the shortfall. Using RTE funds to cover everything. Accountancy giggery pokery.

OC on air personality rarely discusses what he does off the air—unless it's related to another RTE project. I’ve never heard him talk about the books he reads, his appearance, or his family. Callan reads the papers highlights from the papers with a little spin on it , asks interview questions and does impressions. That is it.

Ryan needs to pivot away from the young old fogey thing. Find a new persona, he isn't young anymore, he isn't relavant and the act is tainted by the payments scandal.

I don't miss Tubs incessant false babble tbh. The radioscape is better in his abscence.

I wonder are there posters on here whose incessant posting would leave the Boardscape a better place by their absence?

No need to be reaching for the censor button over the cornflakes Brendi.
    If you go back through these threads you'll see I wasn't on every day complaining about him, I just turned the dial and left him to his fans. Got on with things, enjoyed my muesli. live and let live, so to speak.

Advertisement