Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External cables an eyesight outside my front of home

Options
  • 11-09-2023 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Got my solar installation 2 weeks ago, however I’m left with unsightly black coplex cables across my house from meter box under bay window. And fed in near the top of my front door to the inside fuse box. Hybrid inverter is fine and in the attic , zappi near the meter box.

it is not on my quote how cables are to be fed into fuse box , on the engineers visit nothing mentioned. Only at payment was I told about a cable ( not two ) would be outside my house, in my head I thought like a tv cable nothing more. please note I’m it a diy person .

the morning of installation , only one electrician turned up should have been 2: I was told it was a half day Job by site visit engineer turns out it was never only a half day.it was over a day and half as electrician on his own too.

The roofers due at 8 am Monday we’re delayed at a job and we’re not coming until the next morning ! I had to ring to find this information out

Electrician started work no issue so far then showed me the cables, I felt under pressure to go ahead with it as I guess I didn’t know any better. He did say if isolater was fitted I could only have one cable, I could have organised this in advance with brother who is electrician but no point telling me as you are about to put holes in the wall…

Internet was sketchy electrician said might need a tp link so guess what it did. I emailed my concerns and engineer came out installed tp link . He then told it will cost me to make changes to the cables , no prices given yet .

i obviously don’t want to pay as I feel it was not explained correctly to me how it was going to look and it was an easier option for installation not how visually bad it was for my home!

large company in Cork, anyone any advise , next step a solicitor ?

I can PM photos

8 panel, system, zappi and huawei 4k inverter. BER Included and completed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I would suggest you speak very strongly with the installer and explain your concerns, how you felt pressured to make the decision and this should all have been agreed in advance and not on the day of installation

One thing to clarify, did the electrician show you the cables pre installation or after he'd installed them?

I suspect that will be critical in determining whether you had any real choice in the matter

For context, the cables from my inverter are in white conduit at the side of the house. Doesn't look fantastic, but it's not very visible and blends in better than black or steel conduit

I imagine if you explain your concerns to the installer, that this was not what you expected and the job has not been done to your expectations, and request they come out and either replace the cables with different coloured ones that would blend in better, or put them in conduit at their expense

Hopefully they'll see sense and go out and fix the job. Otherwise you can always name and shame them on social media, that might light a fire under them

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

They should be in a conduit, which you can then paint to match the exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I wonder are they as per SEAI rules.....?If the job isnt tidy and thoughtful I suspect a good chance the installer hasnt followed the letter of the rules somewhere and that could be leverage to get it sorted. Inspectors will haul an installer back over very small stuff.

😎

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All cables can be painted, I ran black SWA from my attic outside side of house and couple of coats of masonry paint and can't be seen, two years on and never noticed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Monkey1234 got a pic?

😎

• Advertisement
Advertisement