Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of my job, I'm going to grow potatoes instead.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ah he's there a long time now- I'm sure he gives them what he feels is appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

I'm in precisely the same position, but with over two decades on you.

I have spent the last seven years trying to build up a honey producing business in the hope of even seeing a way out of the loathsome toxic hole I'm in. Started from scratch, haven't borrowed a single cent. I would have had to, to scale up sufficiently.

Maybe I should have, but this year has made me so glad I didn't. The poxy month of July has blown the whole thing for this year, and while I'll cover my expenses and a bit to spare, an income it certainly ain't. I love every second of it, and if I could sensibly make it work, I'd do it in the morning.

You have a long working life ahead of you. Now is the time to change direction. If I were you, I would prioritise leaving that job, not only for the obvious health concerns. Otherwise, you'll get to your fifties and curse yourself. In my experience it doesn't get less regretful. You just numb and succumb a little bit more every year.

But do it smart. And I think that means, 'don't dive in' headfirst into anything. Except maybe textbooks, if you have any inclination that way.

The feeling of moving forward is very sustaining anyway, even without guaranteed outcomes.

Good luck.

Advertisement