Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do ? (edit: complicated inheritance / purchase situation)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It certainly makes financial sense to do that.

However with 3 young kids you need to look at the whole picture.

If they move what will their support network be like? Simple things like babysitting especially in an emergency.

Will they both be able to find jobs or can they work remotely and continue in their current employment.

Childcare availability and access to primary and secondary schools and after-school activities. Will one parent be spending their life ferrying children around in the car.

Are they close to their families? Will they miss them when they move? Will visiting require in laws staying overnight?

In the massive long-term do you think the kids would want to go to Dublin University? The expense of 3 kids renting when they could be living at home.

It's one thing to say move out of Dublin, but it can be a culture shock when you are a born n bred Dub. (I can feel the eyes rolling)

I would just fear they are making an enormous decision based on a blip and 5 years time might regret it.

Though the idea of living mortgage free is hard to resist. (Once you're not miserable and feeling isolated from family and friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I guess there's different definitions of leaving Dublin. Some folks living in the city would consider Lucan to be practically rural Ireland, whereas others might be okay with moving to Portlaoise and commuting

I think you nailed it regarding considering the implications of moving an entire family, there's a lot of considerations beyond just the price of houses

I would say that it's generally stuff which can be overcome, probably the hardest thing is having no support network in your new place. There's been one or two occasions when we had to call in the grandparents to look after the kids because we both had vomiting bugs (not a good day 😭)

There is a lot of peace of mind knowing there's someone nearby who can look after the kids in an emergency

Even being able to get a babysitter to keep and eye on them while you head out for dinner is great

Again, it's something that can be fixed in time because you'll build that network, but it does take time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Oh absolutely it can be overcome but you need to go in with eyes wide open.

I suppose I'm thinking rural as : if they can't trace your great grandparents back you're a"blow in".

A small town (and with young kids you probably want to be close enough to the town/village) where everyone knows your business can be a massive shock especially coming from Dublin.

Everyone will also know you bought for cash so there maybe people jealous and against you before you even cross the threshold .

Equally it could be the best decision they ever made.

I know people who have done it but they spent nearly a year researching the area, staying weekends in winter and a couple of weeks in summer etc so they had actually made a few friends before they made the move. They'll never move back to Dublin now.

Advertisement