Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with load on Sofar?

Options
  • 10-07-2023 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a double socket connected to the load port on my Sofar 6000HYDEP inverter. I have my water well motor permanently plugged into it. My thoughts are that if the power goes then we will be able to flush toilets and have them refilled (family of 5).

Yesterday there was a thunderstorm and the power was lost for 4 hours. It also brought down the socket connected to the load. I had 50% battery still remaining (20 kWh). Any ideas why this would happen?

I was unable to check the inverter at the time as its in my garage and the garage door is also electric (note to self: Plug garage door into emergency socket). Is there a setting on the Sofar for the load connection or should it just automatically work?

I do have a fireman switch, but I thought it's function is to isolate the power from the PV and doesn't affect the battery.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Could be related

I have a Solis Hybrid here and anytime I have tried to use the backup its very temperamental and sometime trips the RCD. I was reading the manual and I think that the output of the Solis is 110v on both Negative and Live giving a difference of 220v between them so I was wondering if that was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭con747

I had a change over switch put in my consumer unit and have a Solis inverter and had the fireman switches removed so I can use panels and battery during power cuts. I have about 7 a year. A lot of countries don't use fireman switches the UK included. I had to use it twice since I got it all done and no issues.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭jasgrif11

I have a separate consumer unit in my Garage where my inverter is. I will try bypassing the Fireman, pulling the main fuse, and seeing what happens.

I have an electrician calling next week for some work. I might have him install a change-over switch, albeit it will only be for the load in the garage as there would be too much routing of wires to have it in the main house consumer unit.

With a 50kWh battery, I'm sure to have some charge in it if/when power goes

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sligobuck

Have you Enabled the EPS function in Settings?

🌞 8.60kWp PV System. Comprised of 6.2kWp @ 235° azimuth + 2.4kWp @ 145° azimuth, roof angle @ 35°, North Sligo 🌞

All good after enabling EPS. Thanks

• Advertisement

I spoke too soon. Just had a power outage and can confirm EPS socket isn’t working. It does work when I have power, so not a wiring issue between EPS socket and Inverter.

Here is my setup:

1. Sofar HYD6000EP
    2. Fireman Switch
    3. JK BMS
    4. CALB Battery
    5. EPS is Enabled
    6. Battery is at 95%

The CT is connected to the Live on my Main meter box and ports 13/14 on inverter. My Fireman is not powered from EPS (should it be)? The inverter shows fault when the power goes as it loses AC (from consumer) and Fireman kicks in.

What am I missing?

Post edited by jasgrif11 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is the socket really dead or could the well pump just be overloading it?

Remember, you only have the power that the battery will supply and that the Sofar can provide through the socket

I think the EPS socket is limited to 5kW for the 6kW hybrid inverter

Dunno what your max discharge on the BMS is set to, but if it's less than 5kW then that's the limiting factor

The well pump will draw a lot of inrush current when it starts, could it be overloading the socket or the BMS?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I tried a standard bulb and its the same. Discharge is set to 100A and EPS Charge Depth set to 90%

Looking at the BMS I have 95% power remaining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭irishchris

I works try turning eps back off and on as should be recognised and active within about a minute of power outage detected. Is the off grid light green when grid down?

The power is still out, so lots of testing as been done.

The off grid light is not green, its not illuminated . The inverter Alarmed when it lost power.

ID02 Grid Undervoltage

ID04 Grid Underfreq

ID124 BatLowvoltage

ID157 BMSCommFault

I assume 02/04 are normal. I checked the Batvoltage via JKBMS at it looks ok.

I tried resetting the DC isolator between battery and inverter, but after doing that the inverter is completely powered off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ohhh I know

The box doing the communication between the jk and the sofar is turning off!

So the inverter doesn't have communication with the battery.. so it can't discharge from the battery! Chicken and egg situation..

In the meantime, do you have a USB battery bank to test? (Possibly will be able to get a 48v to USB power adapter and run it from the battery)

To boot up the inverter again, everything off, DC on, AC on.

Absolute legend @graememk

That was it

Advertisement