Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a new career

Options
  • 14-06-2023 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,

Looking for some help with choosing a new career path. I have 5 years experience in sales and consultancy work around the world but left a couple of months back as wanted something more fulfilling with a better work life balance. I know it's easier to find a job when you have one so we won't dwell on that!

-Science degree and sales/consultancy experience

-Seen 2 career coaches. 1st went down the road of exploring my passion (find this very hard to define but it's basically design/food/horticulture) and advised a cookery course. Second coach did aptitude tests and advised architecture (takes too long to qualify and expensive as I already have a degree), primary teaching (would need to do an additional year for Irish as didn't do higher level so 3 years), and then design or project management style careers.

-Would like to work to live and be able to leave work problems at work. I felt working in sales/consultancy there was no off switch and you were expected to be on call 24/7 with no reward.

-Like the idea of being somewhat hands on or at least not being tied to desk all day. Looked at lab work at pharma companies but haven't seen many technician roles advertised yet and haven't been successful to date with other applications.

I'm not expecting someone to respond with a career path for me (but submissions welcome!) but where do I go from here? No problem going back to college if it's affordable and no longer than 2 years, and likewise starting entry level for a career that fits. I love the idea of working in design/food/horticulture but then also get envious of those working in finance who can WFH at hours that suit them and have a good stable salary!

Any advice welcome! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I have a sales background too. I know what you mean when you say you never switch off and for no reward. I didn't have a degree, but I did put off college for too long to change my career. It took 10 years of excuses before I bit the bullet and I did 4 years of an engineering degree. I'm delighted I did, because I love my work now.

Reading your post, I think you would enjoy manufacturing and design engineering. 3 years is plenty and you would easily land a good technician role in pharma, semi-conductor, or maybe a WFH part time product design consultant.

Stay Free

Advertisement