Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Satellite dish on my chimney

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Obviously not the case in this instance, but, some folk access quite a large range of services via satellites other than 28.2e. be that via a multi-lnb setup or a motorised dish. Similarly if someone wants to use Irish Freeview TV in an area that has poor coverage, it's accessed via Saorsat with a dish pointed to 9e.

There are lots of reasons for Sat use even in an age of decent BB and app access.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Few years back I received a letter from DCC telling me to remove my dish from the chimney. Contacted the enforcement officer named on the letter, explained it was SKY that installed it on the Chimney and was told I had X amount of time to remove it.

Turned out he was a nice enough lad, told me a neighbour had complained about all the dishes on the road and 9 had to come down. Contacted Sky who quoted me €100 to do the work, told them to end my contract or do it for free, which they did.

1 of my neighbours payed the €100 was mad when I told him I didn't.

Can't be on the front of a house, can't be above the ridge tile. They put it on an arm off the back of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Get it off the chimney asap or you will have problems with the chimney in the near future.

Make sure to plug any remaining holes.

Also check the tiles in the area where someone must have being standing to erect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not according to their website;

I know Glass is their streaming option, but dishes are definitely still an option for them.

Are many people going for an all-streaming solution these days? I presume this rules out the option for 'record and skip the ads' which is fairly important for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sky Screen is available in Ireland too but there are a (small) number of channels excluded plus there is no recording service - there is a catch up service but this is not the same thing as programmes are removed after a certain period of time. There will continue to be satellite service for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭thomas 123

If its a semi D can he not put it on his gable side to get it to face the same direction as it is above on the chimney? - Also is that not the most awkward place to put it - I would like to know why they went to that length to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have no intent of removing my motorised or 2 other fixed dishes as i love to tinker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Motorized satellite dishes? Do you have to change the positions to get signal? Sounds like a faff to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

To pick up signals from different satellites I suspect, Sky ain’t the only one in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suppose it depends on whether you can understand the technology, and its benefits. I wouldn’t be bothered with it myself, but I have neighbours who are not European and they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes to pick up signals on different sats dish has to move to that setting and more than likely tv channels are encrypted but some amount of radio channels to listen too. 20 years ago people wanted other things to play with.

I wont have all my eggs in the same basket with IPTV as if BB crashed Freesat still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It’s your property , the fact they just dismissed you shows they are a wan**r.

take it down and hand it back,

Edit: did they install the dish themselves or was it a company. If it’s a company try find out tell them to come remove it.

not a company. he got one of his cowboy buddies to install it. problem is i'm not too keen on heights and i really dont want to have to risk life & limb climbing up on the roof.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you were to take it down, hebwould then accuse you of damaging his property (this dish). Better off getting him to pay for it to be professionally removed and for the damage during installation repaired.

Good point. I am through trying to discuss this with him, so I'll send him a letter requesting he remove it within a reasonable time-frame (2 weeks). I will say if he doesn't, then I will take the matter up with a Solicitor and will seeking full costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Keep us updated please OP!

I notice our neighbour had installed their dish directly in front of my dish the other day, as in the LNB of mine is pointed at the back of theirs now, I doubt it was an aggressive move just stupidity and all my channels are still coming through somehow so I suppose Ill just accept it for the sake of the quite life...

Advertisement