Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We live in a beautiful country

Options
  • 18-05-2023 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

We really do.

Driving down to Cork this morning from the midlands, and a class morning it was.

Green fields and blue skies,

It really is a gorgeous country when the weather let's it be.

You wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It will be a great little country when it's finished...

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I always notice how green the landscape looks when I fly back into Ireland (once you get under those grey clouds).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭mulbot

It's nice yea but there are much more beautiful places around the world than Ireland. Weather does help here though when it's good

• Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Totally agree.

If we had guaranteed decent weather from June to Sept, it would be a great spot.

It's usually the weather that ruins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I hope you went through customs and showed your passport as you entered Cork. Us Cork people aren't fond of outsiders. You're either from Cork or a foreigner there's no middle ground😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I love Ireland, it is a savage brilliant place, I wouldn't change it for nathin.

Is grá liom Eireann, Eireann go brea. Sé Sé Sé.

Best looking birdsys by a mile ( with respect to Italy and Venezuala and Brazil ). But you won't get a better ride than the one you do be having with an Cailín, they have the real guilty angst going, unreplaceable globally. I never heard an Italian babe screaming " oh holy mother of phuck yah fucker ye " when having an Eiregasm.

We have the best people, no snakes ( outside of leinster House ) , too many domestic pets, we are going to get 2 degrees warmer ( nice one imo, phuck you George Lee, phuck you ) , only we can say " sure he is one of our own?" no one else can say that, anywhere else on the planet , that makes us unique and cultured and fascinating beyond any other farmed humans globally. We work harder , eat better , have better craic, the rest don't even know it yet how much more spiritually and emotionally advanced we are.

We have our own sports that we play that only we understand are better than all the others, apart from beach volleyball, which is iconic.

We even have our own unique language tense that only we could possibly understand the true inclination of..... even though very few of us know how to spell it? it is easy, watch , mo canealach , told ya its easy.

We are very snobby though. Too reserved. We have a real greed problem - that might be universal mind you - we are pretty shight at romance - like we would possibly be extinct if it weren't for alcohol, there is no way my granny and grandpa were riding without it, not a chance.

We are actually the only country that really exists when you really apply the logic to it. It is true. You recall that 1-2 minute kip you have after takeoff over the Irish sea or the Shannon Estuary.... well that is actually the start of our subconscious mental defense mechanism that automatically generates once an irish person leaves the Crannog. It has ben developed over the centuries and allows us to not suffer at the utter dross and banality the rest of the entire planet has to offer, well not all of it Water melons are nice and so is Italian food and so are Bohemian clusterphuck orgies in the mountain lodges of the Czech Republic. but we can't be great at everything, sure it keeps us grounded?

We need that because the reality is that we are so phucking deadly. Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It would be if it wasn't littered with hideous bungalows and McMansions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It has its problems but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Yup de flats

We do to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Ireland is a wasteland following countless centuries of human exploitation. What we have convinced ourselves is beautiful rural countryside, is just as artificial and scarred by man as urban sprawl.

We need a massive reforestation of native deciduous forests on a vast scale, re-wetting of wetlands and bogs, removal of the endless barbed wire fences criss-crossing the place. Not to mention the hideous scars from various quarries that can be seen from many a mountaintop.

Also, I suspect we have too many minor roads going no where in particular. Boreens that may have little reason to exist historically other than to convenience wealthy landowners, but now are full of ribbon development mc mansions and bungalows. Many of these boreens could have made ideal pedestrian friendly footpaths/cycle paths decades ago, long before the recent concept of Greenways became popular.

We certainly lack native forestation. Some of the best preserved areas on the island happens to be around County Fermanagh and areas in Kerry. As regards natural wilderness, Scotland has far more of it than Ireland. It’s hard to escape forms of habitation in our own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

And the prices.

Parts of Ireland are lovely OP but once you've travelled a bit and seen the world Ireland is a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Not a single bit of wilderness in the whole island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I was in Wales last summer, hits you in the face very quickly both how much forestry they have an also how they have no ribbon development, settlements around each village and small town , a lot of Irish people don’t realise how unusual our rural planning culture is

I live in County Galway these days and it looks like no planning application was ever turned down no matter what kind of an impassible road serves the dwelling

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

If you think endless farms and fields filled with cattle and sheep, desolate hills and mountaintops are beautiful then props to you. Our ancestors cut down all the forests and ruined the land for agriculture development. I have lived in a beautiful country (B.C Canada) and Ireland is not one (exceptions being West Cork, Kerry, Wicklow and Connemara).

Its the culture and people that make Ireland beautiful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭victor8600

As a relative outsider with some experience of other countries, I must confirm that Ireland is a beautiful country with many lovely people. And I just love the general positive attitude of Irish people (with a bit of light hearted moaning about the weather and the current affairs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Everyone packed into little identical red brick things paying massive council tax and no space for anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement