Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

obsessively nosey neighbour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭screamer

I find old people get nosier the older they get, it’s like they’ve nothing in their lives so gossip and information fills the void. I’d just avoid the neighbour as much as possible TBH, don’t fill him with rubbish like it’s not a business it’s a money launder operation as he may well call the cops thinking he’s being a good citizen. As for the company info, anyone can pay for and read your company info if you’re a limited company, literally anyone, so if that’s an issue look at converting to a sole trader. It’s not as advantageous but you’ll have privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

People who have lived their entire lives without developing an ounce of insight or cop on are unlikely to start over a new leaf now , kind of people who will swear black is white without an ounce of embarrassment

You can’t seriously believe what you just posted ?

“ very distinguishable “

don’t know about you but I’ve narrowed the OP down to about fifty thousand folks

as I said above, you can’t seriously believe what you are posting here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just try not to fall out with the old guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Oh man this thread is amazing.

It's none of the old fart's business whether or not the OP has a mortgage, or is with his kids Ma, owns a company or whatever, no matter how lonely he is. And poking his nose into the OP's business, including seemingly opening a letter that wasn't addressed to him, whether legal or not, is rude.

Trying to say "well at least he's not noisy / selling drugs / running a brothel / whatever" as if that means the OP should just humour other people prying into his affairs, is nonsense. I don't do that with my neighbours and they don't do it with me and we get along just grand.

OP, you'd be well within your rights to tell him to mind his business if that's what you want to do. Being old is not carte blanche to be an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AllIsTemporary

I think he wants to make conversation about anything he can, and so to think of conversation he tries to find out things about you so he'll have something to talk about. If I'm right, you can easily steer the conversation to things you are actually comfortable talking about. Ask him if he watched some movie that was on RTE recently, what shows he does like if not, tell him what your hobbies are and tell him about them and ask him about his etc. If I'm right he will completely follow your lead and talk about whatever you want, because that's all he wants, to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Alot of people would like to know if their neighbour has a mortgage

Really?

Why?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

OP he sounds to me like he is bored and a bit lonely. if you adopt the right attitude you could probably have great fun with this.

try moving large boxes/rolled up carpets late at night. walk around your garden late in the evening, in dark shades carrying a shovel and wearing a hat. pretend you're talking to someone on your mobile. keep asking when are the Colombians coming.

you'll have great fun and he'll think he's Hercule Poirot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Advertisement