Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polestar 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

This is what I don't understand. I could probably live with the change, but I just don't understand why they've chosen to do it. There's plenty of space for glass there and not having it hurts the looks of the car, aside from practicality. Side mirrors makes sense for aero but there's just no benefit to this change that I can see. The only one might be weight but there's already a full glass panoramic roof so a little bit more in a much more useful location surely wouldn't have hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Glass will definitely be heavier that the equivalent sheet metal and water cleaner and motor for windscreen. Tiny increments in weight saving plus a unique design

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Remember when that other brand got rid of buttons and used a large screen to control 90% of the functions…… Outrage, still to this day, by people that don’t own the actual car.

This will be the same some will adapt to it, some will like it and some won’t.

I like the look of all Polestars, just don’t think they offer value compared to others available so like them all, the devil will be in the released car. I really like the look of this P4 and will be watching it with interest.

First flesh look here. Still looks the part.

Personally hate no tactile buttons for certain functions. No one will change my opinion on that.

Polestar are evidently going for the premium market other marque.. are pushing for volume and cost. As has always been the way in car market. Comparing badges has always been this way.

I read they were chasing the Porsche market with some of their cars. Polestar would certainly be up there as one of the top with regards quality but I thought the Porsche comment was a bit too much. Maybe I’m wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Not too keen on the no rear window. It's safer to be able to see through to one or two cars ahead in a line of traffic, whether moving or in stop start traffic.

I'd also usually give a clear turn of the head when keeping to the left a bit to let a motorcyclist know I had seen them and was making room for them overtake.

I can't see how something that reduces visibility for other road users can be good for road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Tens of thousands of van and truck drivers get on perfectly ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yeah the lack of physical buttons/dials for things like air-con etc. boils my piss.

not to continue the rear window discussion again I guess I see similar comparisons to the two 🙂.

would love to test drive one though. Seeing a lot of polestars on the road recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think this looks great.

The lack of rear window will be something you’d be grand with after a few minutes I’d bet.

I can’t see if being any cheaper than 65k for the base model in Ireland when it arrives here next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think this is different to the button thing. Listen, I'm all for change. I'm usually the one arguing for it but screens in cars are a natural progression from phones and tablets that we use in everyday life. People aren't suddenly removed windows from their houses and replacing them with large projector screens displaying the world outside. When it comes to the world around you it is just as important in a car as it is everywhere else. Polestar is a sustainable brand so it's just a confusing message they are putting out with this rearward screen.

I watched an interview with the CEO of Polestar today where he talks about the camera. He couldn't really give an explanation for it except that it stops sun coming in from behind the back passenger. Is that a thing? Personally I think they had an issue with headroom. As I said before, it's not a dealbreaker for me. I'll try it first and hopefully be proven wrong.

On Polestars not offering good value. A P2 starts at 52k and offers a ton of kit as standard, more than any other car in that price range (except Tesla). You get plenty of range with their "standard" battery too. The cars are also beautiful inside and out.

• Advertisement

Fairly detailed explanation here of why the rear change to window was done. Structural allowing for headroom and reduction in roof line back to front.

I can’t argue with anything there. The value to me is a mix of spec V performance. 230bhp in the FWD P2 is a handful. It was a handful in my DC2 Type R and that had an LSD!

They’re no doubt lovely cars and I wouldn’t mind dabbling in the performance one of and when I can.

The steering wheels pulls a little bit but the weight of the car more than makes up for that. I'll admit, I haven't tried a 0-60kph quick standing start but in general the car feels great and very manageable compared to a FWD hot hatch. My old JCW used to literally hop away from the lights. Dreadful torque steer. The 2024 rwd P2 facelift will improve the driveability of the car nonetheless.

Yes, I'm worried it will be 65k too. I'm out at that price, at least for now. I'm sure I will consider it is the future. I'm hoping there is a completely new P2 in 2026. That might be a better option down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

well, a single motor Kia ev6 gt is 65k now and I think the new Hyundai 6 in higher spec single motor is around there too. If polestar are anywhere less I’d be amazed.

Do polestar do trade ins here or is it like Tesla where they offer rock bottom trade prices and move the cars in the trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I see a review on Complete Car suggesting 70 k here , starting price . Im a little disappointed but not completely surprised. We’ll have to wait and see . It looks great imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I see a review on Complete Car suggesting 70 k here , starting price . Im a little disappointed but not completely surprised. We’ll have to wait and see . It looks great imo .

Polestar is linked to Spirit motors so that is where I sold my car. They are connected and also not connected so they can conveniently keep the trade in offer low. I got offered the same price for my car from pretty much every garage. The only time I got offered substantially more was when I was looking at an Enyaq and Skoda offered me a lot more for my car.

Funny enough, when I was selling my car I got the best price from Tesla by a large margin.

You just have to judge the market at the time of buying/collecting.

Get your car washed. Have the default photos all ready and put them into all the online car buying company’s and ring around. Have it on DoneDeal at this stage too and if there’s genuine a market for your car, you’ll get the calls.

Take the deal that works best on all occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just noticed the Hi Phi Z has no rear window as well, these are coming to the UK and Europe so I assume we'll get them, starts at $88k for the 5 seater and I think $92k for the 4 seater.

• Advertisement

That think is banana's. Super aggressive looking. I like the madness

There's a lot of truth in this. My car was less than a year old. I had owned it for three months so I lost a lot of money trading it in but the wheels were humming like crazy and Audi were rubbish getting to the bottom of it. I tried Done Deal at 37k. No bites. Car cost me 43.5k. Sold it for 36k to Spirit. Back up on the dealers website at 44k and sold in a week for them. That's the power of dealerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭derekreilly

My 1st look at the Polestar 4. One looks and feel alone, it's at the top of my list at the moment but yet to be driven.

€68k for the base RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Then you need to stick around 10k on it to spec it up. Too expensive. Single motor is also not quick enough for the money. Looks fantastic though inside and out.

+1

Its €5k for the performance pack, but you have to have the dual motor and another pack before you can spec it.

It will sell like the current polestar range, in small numbers.

And bring on the hate for having no rear window. Imagine Tesla done that, there would be uproar !

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sh81722

With that pricing looks like the job cuts at Polestar in January were much needed to bring down the cost of running their operation. Wishing them well and more sales now that the lineup has a fresh member. They were only selling 50000 units last year and that's not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Got very close to 100k on the configuration specing it similarly to my 2.

noticed they charge 250 for a charging cable. Was that the same with the 2 does anyone know? Don’t remember it. Scabby AF imho. 100 grand car and u have to buy the charging cable. Anyway it’ll be another 2 years before I’m seriously looking at it, hope it gets the same depreciation as the 2 has in the meantime

I think it's safe to say this is aimed at the upper American market and top spend EU market. People who want something different that stands out and have the money.

It will sell but probably small. Looks like Geely are looking to take polestar private again. It's disappointing for their vehicles because I think the design language is spot on they really put alot of effort in. But the value isn't there. But perhaps it's not meant to be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on it this morning and it seems Polestar expect it to outsell the P2 which I don't see happening here at least. As others have pointed out it's close to 80K to get a slowish rwd version with a decent spec. I'd imagine this will be going up against the juniper Y in 2025 and IMHO it will be a tough sell against a refreshed longe range model y.

Advertisement