Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Name for sexual preference with chosen gender?

• 10-04-2023 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭

If a biological male (let's call him/her Alex) identifies as a woman, keeps their anatomy unchanged, but has intercourse only with biological men, is Alex Gay, or Hetero? The body is still male, but Alex identifies as female.

Stemming off from that, if Alex had the full sex change, would this change the answer/label?

I asked a Bi-Sexual colleague the first part of the question a few weeks ago, but even though she is very much in tune with the rainbow movement and is comfortable sharing and explaining aspects of it, she didn't know the answer.

Maybe there is no label, or maybe it's an odd one, like Geterosexual...I don't know. It's an odd one. This is not intended to be a Trans debate. It's a more a question about labels within the rainbow alpahabet and if the answer is given to be a fluid, or spectrum one.

edited to clarify Alex' preference in biological males.

Free Palestine from Hamas

Post edited by Kimbot on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

For the same reason the other letters exist. I'm not asking for a label to be applied. I am asking if one, or more exist already.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,116 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

You’re turning my head 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 18,030 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

All depends on the universal construct that being

lights on or lights off 🤨🧐🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Bi would imply sexual interest in more than one gender. Alex only has a preference for men. Just for clarity...biological men, rather than bio women identifying as men.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I expect the answer is that everything is dependent on gender. If you think yourself to be a woman and are attracted to men, then you are heterosexual regardless of your anatomy. (Obviously, though, the categories start to lose their meaning if understood in this way.)

I really hate this faux-innocent scepticism. The LGBTQ+… community has shown itself more interested than any to create and embrace labels. You can’t have it both ways and undermine other people’s concepts all the while insisting on acceptance of your own. (I mean ‘you’ in the general sense.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But it's up to the person themselves to decide. There's nothing faux about it. Who are you or I to label someone?

I had queried this in my mind, but then rather than hetero, would not "trans-hetero" apply, as usually trans man/woman applies, rather than man, or woman. Even the line of Trans itself is muddy, as some identify as trans without making any chemical, or physical changes to the gender they say they identify as. This is why I asked the question and split it for those with no changes to their physical selves and separately those who go the full route and have the surgery.

Better to ask these things and have them clarified or risk warnings and bans online, or in some places....including Ireland, to be considered and convicted a criminal under hate speech laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If a biological male…

If Alex has an artificial hip replacement or an organ transplant, does that mean he’s no longer an organism?

Do bears actually shìt in the woods, or do they only see trees?

You’d have to ask them, though their answer may not satisfy your curiosity.

And good luck getting the answer out of a bear 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭emo72

I read once that just before the fall of major civilizations, the said people get vexed with the idea of gender and sexuality. Greeks and Romans so it was. I'd say we are just about there now lads.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would they be either a pre-op transgender woman in the first case, and post op afterwards?

Whoever wrote that was an idiot. I’m not going to suggest you’re any worse for not bothering to do any further research, but civilisations have never just died. They evolved, in much the same way as the process of evolution explains how modern humans appearance is quite different from their earliest ancestors. Evolution hasn’t stopped just because we’re quite comfortable with where we’re at.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/04/01/civilization-collapse-rome-angkor-harappa/

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/26/science/when-humans-became-human.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Hetero is not the answer.

If there are just 2 sausages it cant be hetero.

The etymology of the word hetero goes back to words which mean difference.

Homo is not short for homosapian as some might think, its short for homogenous. Of which the opposite is heterogenous.

A sausage is the same genus as a sausage. Therefore there is no heterogeneity.

but everyone can invent their own.

This is it really, and some labels will catch on in popular culture, and some won’t - the person using them will know what they intend to mean, but nobody else will until it’s explained to them. The meanings matter more than the labels themselves, like you don’t hear too many people refer to themselves as a androphiles, gynephiles or ambiphiles, all terms used in behavioural sciences to refer to more commonly used terms -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androphilia_and_gynephilia

Because the OP doesn’t mention Alex’s sexual orientation or sexual attraction, it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that Alex is straight, but could engage in homosexual acts with men for other reasons. ‘Gay for pay’ is a thing -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-for-pay

The terms the OP is reaching for though would most likely be Pangender or Pansexual.

Better to ask these things and have them clarified or risk warnings and bans online, or in some places....including Ireland, to be considered and convicted a criminal under hate speech laws.

Better to have an excuse, even 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 23,593 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Think in the scenario you are interested in Alex could be labelled as Transgendered CIS.

You should really try getting involved with your interests op, you seem very intrigued by alternative sexual scenarios, enjoy them.

I thought the rainbow movement were environmental fundamentalists?

The labels are confusing enough on their own. Thanks for your suggestion regarding my interest. Always helpful when people engage in good faith.

Back to the topic then.

So, there aren’t really any solid answers to the question posed. Your label in fairness is probably the closest I would agree with, even though it in itself is contradictory. Confusing stuff.

cisgender

/sɪsˈdʒɛndə/

adjective

adjective: cisgender; adjective: cis-gender; adjective: cisgendered; adjective: cis-gendered

1. denoting or relating to a person whose gender identity corresponds with the sex registered for them at birth; not transgender.

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's just being stupid. What has any of that got to do with Gender or the question the OP asked?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That was the point, the question itself is fundamentally stupid. This being After Hours, don’t expect a serious answer as though the question is the burning philosophical question of our times when it’s nothing more important than being down to each individual’s preference and it doesn’t actually matter what anyone else thinks or says different, it’s of no consequence to the person themselves. Even the OP hasn’t been satisfied with the answers so far, but that’s a surprise to nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The OP is asking whether a trans person's orientation is usually labelled with reference to their gender assigned at birth, or the gender they express.

The answer — and this isn't a great surprise — is that the trans person, and people who accept their trans identity, will tend to label with reference to the gender they now express. Thus, e.g., a trans woman who is attracted to men is heterosexual.

But people who don't accept a trans identity will tend to label a trans person's sexual orientation with reference to their gender assigned at birth. So they will regard a trans women who is attracted to men as gay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It often (well, to be accurate, sometimes) amuses me that people who understand all the rules of rugby and can remember who won the triple crown in 1983; or who can strip a land rover engine and rebuild it, etc., declaim loudly that the topic of gender identity is too complex for their brains to handle.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Trans-hetero.

Why not acknowledge the full truth.

Excellent answer. I suppose I was more wondering if there was an accepted label such as there is with LGBT+. Your answer falls in line with how I would think about it.

Would there be more credibility given to those who fully transition as opposed to those who make no physical changes beyond clothing and makeup? I would assume so, but perhaps not.

To be inclusive, we should state Gay/SGL. Also the OP did not intend the debate to be about Trans, but it has gone somewhat in that direction.

Same-Gender Loving (SGL): How some African Americans prefer to describe their sexual orientation, seeing “gay” and “lesbian” as primarily white terms. “Same-sex loving” is also in use.

I didn’t ask in Current Affairs because it’s very stuffy in there and overly policed. Assumptions are made and warnings and thread bans are given without justification imo. AH is not the ideal place for these questions, but it’s a bit more relaxed and the posters so far have been reasoned in their replies.

Another good answer. Short and to the point. That’s where I was going with the blurb Getero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭Furze99

I'd have thought 'Thoroughly Confused' would be a better label, or insert other phrase of choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement