Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical apprenticeships in Ireland

Options
  • 10-04-2023 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am looking into the possibility of doing an apprenticeship to become an electrician. I dropped out of my college course because I felt it wasn’t for me and I’m not mad on the whole idea of college anyway. Im 25 by the way. 

My problem with starting an apprenticeship is that I literally have no background/ experience whatsoever in electrical. Like there would be a chance I’d start it and leave as I really don’t know if I’d like it or not. I’m usually good with sticking with something and not giving up because of the slightest issue or problem. 

Any advice from any people that are electricians or doing an apprenticeship would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would you consider working as a labourer/general operative on sites for a while, to see the different types of work that go on. The work of an electrician on industrial sites would be totally different to residential work . As an electrician you could be permanently employed doing maintenance work in a factory, be on different industrial sites doing installation work or as residential electrician working on new builds, and call outs to people's houses. The work place can be as important as the work you do, most people starting an apprenticeship have little knowledge of the trade

Advertisement