Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Ireland fees apply from April 2023 for eCars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

Free charging and the grants were to help stimulate demand, there's now plenty of demand now. And the few who took the p1ss and charged public because it was free ruined for the rest of us (I'll happily pay for a reliable /available charging station)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You are more than welcome to set up your own public charging network, you've clearly identified that the incumbents are milking it so you should have an easy time attracting investment to VAM Charging Inc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They still need to hurry up and roll out these "hubs" that they are talking about.

Welcome the paid charging, you couldn't rely on getting a charge at any of the fast chargers as they were so busy, be it because it was free, or just lack of chargers. The one time I did, I had an alert on it, it freed up, and when I got to it it was free, and then 2 other cars arrived for a charge.

There's a lot more electric cars in the north now too.

On the 22kw ones though if it was available and handy I'd charge even if I didn't really need it - because it was free. Now I'll not be charging unless I need it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

The ROI app pops up warnings around 40 minutes, should be the same in NI. If you start with an esb card the phone app will still pop.up warning. The rules, cost, parking rules should be displayed at every charger like every petrol station prices. Lots of charging places just jumped prices overnight with no announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How is being charged for a service a ripping people off. Electricity and the infrastructure to provide charging isn’t free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Can the republic of ireland ecars card & app be used to activate & pay for NI chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

Yes (just the eCars branded ones, not the say Maxol ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The cost of them, the cost of them and the cost of them. Its excessive. Let me know if i need to repeat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you do realise the wholesale price of electricity has shot up

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For a long weekend, that's pretty low. AC usage is the most obvious hit though. Looking like about 50000 less minutes of AC usage since Wednesday/Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Very interesting & stats directly showing the benefits of paying to charge & how it is freeing up the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just beware in ROI similar happened first few days but then those who topped up on last free charge while it was no fee, then needed to fill up again. Some may have home chargers but in ROI many did not and then scrambled to get a home charger and installers were overloaded. Similarly sales of new EVs are high and in NI there seems to be big incentives for fleet/company car EVs, with civil servants etc getting them. Even if all worked (many are broken months) there is not enough to handle peak demand, probably 5 times the amount needed today and 10 times the amount should be planning.

The faster project has about 20 sites with 50kW+ chargers planned for delivery hopefully before end of year 2023. These "coming soon" sites are listed on plugshare app so hopefully by year 2024 there should be an improvement with possibly ionity and other competitors having sites.

Still no real motorway charging network, and faster project seems to be single chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Also worth a mention there is a new hub 'scheduled' for this summer at Dobbies Garden Centre Lisburn (off M1 & about 1 mile from Sprucefield) - noted to be '6 x DC Rapid Charging bays, each greater than 50kW'

Advertisement