Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Forensic Examiner in the Garda National Cyber Crime Bureau

Options
  • 27-02-2023 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Spotted this on publicjobs. Not sure who the target candidate would be? 3rd level degree in forensics or cybercrime with 2 years experience in Dublin is probably on 50k already. Who would want to start there at 35k 😕 Some of the work sounds very difficult mentally.

publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=171321&campaignId=2382604

Can't post link sorry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah it's an Engineer grade 3 scale? Weird scale alright for that role. I thought it would have been at least grade 2 or HEO scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

35K! Absolute shite salary for a highly technical role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

I think they will struggle to fill this, or if they do, struggle to retain people.

My thinking is they possibly might have candidates lined up for the role who won't be at the bottom scale.

If it's actually the scale they came up with to try and attract external candidates, that's really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

Candidates should note that entry will be at the minimum of the scale and will not be subject to negotiation and the rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government pay policy. Increments may be awarded annually subject to satisfactory performance.

• Advertisement

Yeah, pretty standard but if you're an existing public servant you may not need to start at the minimum.

"Different terms and conditions may apply if you are a currently serving civil or public servant."

BOI have just advertised a slew of security roles, though I'm not sure what the salary range is, but I'd say it would be higher than the minimum here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

The competition deadline was extended. Probably not enough people applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Was going to apply for this but quickly realised i'm way overqualified, they asked in the application "choose one of 3 which apply", guessing they werent expecting an applicant with all 3 choices (skills/certifications/experience).

Interesting work but the multiple pay drop is a killer, they want entry level folks with no private sector experience.

I have an MSc in Digital Investigations and Forensic Computing. I wouldn't even consider applying for this position at that money

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm hoping they don't get any applications and have to redo it with a proper pay packet. There was a similar job going for the Criminal Assets Bureau. Starting salary was 65k PA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Someone in the private sector with all those skills is getting 100k+, they need to be paying 75k at least considering your skills will stagnate inevitably being public sector.

Agreed. That grade in particular has like 15 increments?

Should have been the Eng 2 Grade not the 1, but tech skills rarely fit public sector scales

The Civil Service itself was hiring cyber security people at HEO. I do think they probably got a lot of applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Civil/Public sector has a problem that technical skills can only be graded through the filter of management grades.

Who is deciding what grade a civil service job is? Definitely this highly skilled tech job should be EG 2 or atleast HEO level salary.

I think if they modified the Engineer grade, they could have a fairly decent specialized tech grade.

But that's obviously assuming they have issues attracting specialized tech staff.

Did anyone here apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MaxPayneXL

Few queries regarding the Digital Forensic Examiner role:

In the information booklet the below was mentioned:

Health & Character Candidates must be in good health, capable and competent of carrying out the work assigned to them, and they must be of good character. Those under consideration for a position will be required to complete a health and character declaration and a Garda Vetting form. 

1. Approximately how many vacancies are anticipated for this role?
    2. Would a panel be formed from the order of merit (OOM)?
    3. Would someone with mental health issues be barred from taking up this role?
    4. Is it mandatory to have full drivers license + own driving required for this role?

Any update on this? Any one received job offer?

I am in the panel for Digital Forensic Examiner and have been offered a position. Not sure whether I would accept the job offer, due to the low salary, but like the technical aspects of this role.

Could someone let me know the nature of the job, duties involved etc?

Any one currently working with AGS as a Digital Forensic Examiner ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement