Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Gardai on bicycles

• 11-02-2023 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

Where have they all gone to?

I can't recall when I last saw one locally, not since Covid anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Covid can cause memory loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was passing the back of Pearse Street Garda station the other day, just opposite where the old Screen cinema was. The back gates of the station were opened and there must have been about 20 Garda MTBs there just parked in the courtyard. I had to do a double take.

You see them cycling around here and there still. It's comical the state of their bikes: very dated looking yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Not as bad as the time I saw a Guard on a segway on grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,463 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Article in 2019 saying that at that point there were 177 mountain bikes in the Garda fleet.

An average of just under 7 bikes per county.

No surprising you don’t see many

segways are the thing now, green and all that but a waste of money. Expensive to buy, high maintenance/repair costs… can be a danger to use in crowded areas…so for Gardai ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I saw a bunch of them on bikes around Landsdowne Road for the rugby yesterday, but you rarely see them away from big events.

There should be one Garda on a bike from every urban station for every day shift. It might change their windscreen view of the world over time.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I always thought bikes in a urban/ community setting were a great idea , very visable , cover loads of ground , stop anywhere ,routinely travel into parks - footpaths and alleyways .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Allinall

I think they have to get special permission from a superintendent before they can ride the bikes if they don’t pass an advanced riding course exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's bad enough that the uniform is now basically a tracksuit. They don't need to be doing anything else that makes them look ridiculous.

I see them quite often in Sean Walsh park in Tallaght, and also in Tymon North park.

I saw the Gardai on horseback in Sean Walsh park once too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I asked a Gard on a bike in Tralee last summer for directions. Last time I had any interaction.

I would say the weather would be significant. If it is raining etc.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen any Garda cars for the last couple of weeks. Have they stopped using them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What exactly 'looks ridiculous' about a standard police tactic all over the world,

in the USA

in the UK

in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if you go round the city centre you,ll probably see gardai on bikes, its a good idea, probably depends on where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Fritzbox

German Police rarely travel on bikes, I don't think I have ever seen that many here in the city I live in. Not sure what the advantages but it is probably the best compromise for mobility in a large crowded and busy city centre?

That wouldn't be the way measure it. Some other person in another part of the city could have seen them. Or someone where you were could have seen them at a different time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A seasoned cyclist hater.

They're actually really affective on pedestrian crime (handbag snatches, dipping, petty thievery etc..). I've seen them chase down & catch criminals in places where cars can't go. Thieves habitually run up laneways, in to parks etc to avoid being caught. Gardai on bikes can run them down, the bikes get serious abuse when the ditch them. They're also handy for catching criminals that use bikes, particularly children who've been groomed to run/deliver drugs on bikes.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

Advertisement