Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What's your fav meal of the day?

• 01-02-2023 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭

I think mine is Breakfast.. esp when I wake up hungry..

Mum would never let us leave the house without having something in our tummies (usually toast and or cereal)..

So its a habit that has stayed with me all my life.. hmm..

mon - fri its just something light like museli and fruit +/- a scrambled egg..

weekends I have something more substantial for brunch - usually involves eggs with something or other..

Tea every morning.

What about you?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I rarely eat breakfast, but when I do, it is usually hummus on toast with coffee. Most breakfasts for me are many coffees and rollies :/

Other than that, I usually eat just one meal a day in the late evening: dinner (my favourite #1)!

Sometimes, a midnight snack (my favourite #2), which might be beans on toast, or sardines on toast.

I'm a bread person, so always have pita, flatbreads or sliced bread in the freezer.

I'm such a night owl :)

For me, it also depends on the seasons.

In the summer I gravitate towards lunch, with lots of salads.

Winter, I find, has me eating later in the day, with more carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Breakfast. Best meal of the day. Never get tired of my porridge but once a week big breakfast with the family. I used to work weekends. Breakfasts were our roast dinners and it stuck. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I tend to not eat breakfast, except at the weekends. Sometimes it's great, like a hash brown and fried egg sandwich on toast, or a good BLT, but usually not my thing.

Lunch tends to be wraps, soup or leftovers from the night before, so not that either.

Have to say dinner. It marks the break between work and free time, and it's something I always get a kick out of unwinding after the day. It's also the most varied and gives you the most opportunity to do what you want. Also, roast potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You see the choice thing is what makes the dinner stressful for me. Trying to keep everyone at the table happy. 🙄

At least with a big breakfast there’s something for everyone. 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Breakfast, I just love porridge, eggs, overnight oats, scones, croissants, cereal, peanut butter and banana on toast, granola, yogurt with fruit, chia seed pudding, tea or matcha latte... (not all together obviously). So much to choose from, I always look forward it 😄

Ah, I don't have that problem but I get it. It's myself and herself, and she's fairly open to new things. I run the menu by her most weeks, but since she doesn't cook herself (she does the washup etc) I mostly get creative control. It works ... most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Advertisement

Have you ever heard of pease pudding in the North East of England?

It's similar. A mash of chickpeas and sesame seeds. Very delicious wholesome food.

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold,

Pease pudding in the pot – nine days old.

Some like it hot, some like it cold,

Some like it in the pot – nine days old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a common healthy blend of food that's easy to make at home & very good for you in moderation. It's roots are Middle Eastern and it's been around since the 13th century.

My kids scoop it up with raw carrots & cucumber. Supervalu stock their own mix & supply other versions along with the ingredients to make it.

Give it a crack, you'll like it, it's genuinely good tasting food that you can make your own with your favourite ingredients...(garlic, harissa, radish, celery etc...) a pleasure to make and lasts about 4 days in the fridge. Mash it in to pitta bread with left over chicken or any meat or veg and it's one of those cheap, healthy fillers that encourages you not to throw out food.

BBC Good food is an amazing resource you can get lost in. You don't need a food processor, I use a hand held stick processes that cost €24

I've never managed to make decent hummus at home, with canned chickpeas or soaked/cooked, or homemade tahini/shop bought tahini. Flavour is fine. Texture is not. I have tried with a hand blender, with a vitamix high power one, with a normal food processor. Just doesn't get the right texture at all. It's weird. Followed different recipes too.

I feel your pain. It turned out my problem was not rinsing the chickpeas enough.. it takes ages and then lots of blending with the hand blender, lifting, lowering, side to side etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah THAT! Basically mushy peas.. .We have variations in Lancashire as pulses were inexpensive and excellent nutritionally as in mushy peas... We were raised on them... Tinned mushy peas; soul food. NB add to next list although I am sure there are some in the cupboard..Add concentrated mint sauce.. dilute and pea soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nice bit of green

i suppose it’s what’s on the plate rather than the time of day.

I have porridge made with milk every morning and a ground coffee. I guess this is my fave as without it, I’m out of my routine. It sets me up nicely.

Nah - not the case for me - horses for courses and all that.. I love b'fast - start of a new day... and always have an appetite in the am.. not my fav food items.. just fav meal

Advertisement