Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW X2 - High Mileage / Low Price or Low Mileage / High Price

Options
  • 31-01-2023 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

I was looking at an X2 today. Beautiful car and just what we are looking for size wise (for the wife and comfort and a bit of style for me). The car we wanted to see was in getting some work done but we got to look at a newer model and took it for a run. Loved the car but fell in love with the new model. Only problem is that it is €10K dearer and pushing well out of our price range. We could manage it but at the expense of a lot of other things.

The 2018 car has 130,000 km's on it which I think is a bit high (181). The 2020 (210) car only had 27,000km's. If I factored in a few pricey repairs over the next 5 years, the 181 car could well out cost the 201. Could I reasonably expect a few big repairs on a car with this mileage? There are other 181 models about for about €2k more and they have between 70,000k and 95,000k km's. Would these be a better option? the 2018 car is €32K.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The mileage shouldn't make much of a difference if the car has been properly maintained.

My current F10 5 series has something like 140k on the clock but was serviced properly (well as per BMW guidelines) and came with a BMW 2 year warranty (which covers pretty much everything).

My previous E60 had about 250k on it before an SLK driver wrote my car off. The only issue on this car in the four or so years of ownership was the nikasil cylinder linings starting to go so I had them replaced a month before she was killed.

I would recommend getting an independent mechanic to look at the car before buying to ensure you don't buy a lemon. What kind of warranty comes with each car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭User1998

Seems like your not taking into account that the newer car will cost you a lot more in depreciation, and that even on the newer car a full service and four new tyres will cost around €1000, so its not without its big repair bills either

And on a separate note, the 2020 X2 has a very similar interior as an 11 year old 3 series. It looks really dated and theres no way I would buy a 2020 car with that interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Not sure about the service history on the 181, got carried away with the 201. Both come with a 2 year warranty as they are from a BMW dealership

The BMW used car 2 year warranty is very comprehensive. Any issues that surface in two years will be dealt with. It's not just the usual engine and gearbox crap warranty offered from most used car dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There's a good chance that the 2020 X2 has the BMW service pack on it, which covers servicing up to 100,000km or 5 years (whichever comes first). Still 2 years left, but depends on what mileage you'll be doing as to whether you get one or two services out of it. The 2018 will be out of service pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

My F10 5 series has nearly 310,000km on the clock and is still going strong. Like Seth Brundle said - it's all about proper maintenance by previous owner\s.

These are my two options at present. Anybody any advice on which would be the better buy based on price, spec, mileage and considering both have full BMW dealer service history? The alloy wheels on the 2018 model are much fancier if that means anything.

https://naasroad.frankkeanebmw.ie/used-cars/BMW/X2/X2-xDrive20d/202212142524813/

https://www.colmquinnbmwathlone.ie/used-cars/BMW/X2/X2-xDrive20d/202301303746986/

I've had positive dealings with Quinns on two occasions. Keanes are a bit too formal or corporate for me.

As for the cars, I don't like either but that's just my particular preference. I'd rather spend the 30k on a saloon For as asking of 30k, you could have a 330e MSport.

Anyhow, back to answering your actual question: whilst metallic black will always be nicer than grey, is there really any other difference between them other than the alloys? They are both shadowline and seem to have the same options inside.

I'm changing because the wife wont drive my 5 series and we are going down to one car. The grey car has about 50,000 less km's on it but only €1k cheaper. It seems to have more spec on the description but I am not used to these so not too sure about it. I like the grey colour though. Wish either had black leather seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

5 series to and X2, that's a hefty downgrade, is changing the wife an option? 🤔

• Advertisement
Advertisement