Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Are you happy where you live?

• 26-01-2023 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭

I'm from the countryside originally - but been living in cities/large towns for the last 26 yrs.. I am defo a country girl at heart.. prefer the peace and beauty of the countryside.. but I do like/love living where I am now (tis Cork so nice n small and lovely walk area near me).. but I often wonder about moving - to somewhere less urban.. but I dunno.. I/we would miss so many things about where we are now..

How about ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,169 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Born and raised in a large town but living very rural for the past 38 years and I absolutely love it. I always tried to go to the countryside as a child, so I'm now living the dream. Not a neighbouring house in sight, green fields, woods, lakes and rivers yet still a decent community spirit and good neighbours & friends. We often said we'd never move, even if we had a big lotto win because there's nowhere we'd rather be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AxelF84

Grew up in the countryside in Waterford and moved into the city when in college and ended up spending 15 years there. I loved the fact I was only walking distance from everything but did miss the greenery and peace of the country , met my wife who again was a countryside girl but she really didn't like the city. We were lucky to get the opportunity recently to move back to the countryside again can honestly say have never been happier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

No I live in a village where you have to fight for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Karppi

My view, after quite a long time on the planet, is to try to be as close to nature, ie the real world, as possible. The main barriers to this, it seems to me, are the constrains of work - both where your work is and what hours you need to devote to it - money, which is tied to the first, in most cases - and obligations; family, especially children.

Follow you instincts and emotions, if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,627 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I am happy where I live, its suburban, very quiet, very safe, very pleasant surroundings, good amenities, handy for public transport and the City and all that.

But my wife will be finishing up her main career this summer and we'll be heading off to live in a rural spot near to a big town where we have family connections and I plan to be even happier, with more space and even nicer surroundings and fresh air and peace. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Islanded and all at sea here and that is what I sought all my life long. Far from town life etc. It has its....moments ..... , but compared with other situations.....

Inaccessible too is excellent... privacy and many aspects of peace... yet with access to all I need.... All thanks to good communications.

An easier place to live in old age. Without the fuss that was gathering!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Grew up and lived in a Dublin council estate for the first 37 years of my life, moved to a rural village an hour outside Dublin 5 years ago and have never been happier. I feel I have the best of both worlds in that I have neighbours but they are not on top of me, my house is detached and my garden is an acre. We are surrounded by countryside and it's a peaceful life. There are some disadvantages but the advantages far outweigh them and I can't imagine ever leaving here.

No, I live in the middle of fvcking nowhere. Can't go out anywhere without a lift, can't work or study. Only leave the house for mental health related appointments.

EDIT: Almost like they're related

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Much the same with me. Magnified by this being a small island.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Born and bred in deep rural Ireland.

It's my haven. I love nothing more than waking late on a Saturday morning to cattle bawling in the field next door.

I lived in Dublin in my 20s for a short stint and I absolutely hated the city life.

Country life is tough in the winter when roads can be inaccessible with frost or snow and there's definitely more maintaining a detatched house with a few acres but overall the privacy, quietness and unspoiled views I have trump that.

I'm a country mouse for sure.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭sporina

wow - your post made my heart swell.. really resonated with me..

i pretty sure we will move in the future..

Not just yet.. as we are v sociable and love all our social outings from here - friends all near by for walks/coffee's etc.. and most within walking distance.. we have fab walking areas near by for sure - the lee fields.. the marina.. etc.. and the mountains and beaches are not too far away..

We would be ok work wise - to move - both have cars..

But yeah.. when I'm older.. as I have noticed.. the older I get - the more I crave nature.. as they say.. "you can take the girl out of the country - but you can't take the country out of the girl"..

And my fav hobbies are hiking and beach walking (off season)..

But I love the idea of a walk down a country rd under the moon light - on a dry might - any season..

So yeah.. countryside for us soon.. (himself is the same.. but just more laid back about it than me)..

what fuss? dare I ask?

isn't it hard to be on an island so small in old age? lack of geriatric services etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

We live in a fairly populated part of Cork, it’s grand but it’s not my home. My wife is comfortable being near her parents but I would love to move back to my home and build on the family land. With the planning nonsense nowadays I don’t know if it’s a possibility. A neighbour at home tried to get planning last year and was refused. His parents have circa 30 acres, he’s a solicitor and couldn’t find any loophole to get around his objection from ABP/County Council.

My home is the most magical place and I yearn to get back there. Lovely neighbours and peace and quiet. My family home is in the country despite being less than 10 mins from the middle of town. As some above have mentioned, the air and everything is just different and better in the country. We have all sorts of animals that come around the garden and it’s just a lovely place.

Yes. The area I live in is both friendly and quiet. Our house is lovely because I've created a fairly unique space. It's still a work in progress but we're tipping away at it. There's a big tree in the front garden and I have all sorts of yokes hanging out if it.

The dream though is a ginormous pile in the middle of nowhere. I don't know what it is about very large houses but I love them. One of these please.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Born in a medium town, still live in that medium town.

I'm nowhere near unhappy here but I'd happily move at the same time.

The dream would be ruralish, just close enough to civilisation that getting what I need isn't a hassle but far enough away that I've no chance of at all of hearing the neighbour f*cking his missus.

Get myself a nice bit of land, build a fence and scowl "get out of my swamp" at every opportunity I get. I can only dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I didn't know there was such a place 😊

I really fell in love again with where I live in lockdown 1.

Myself and my son spent days exploring our 2km limits and even within those 2km we found places we'd never been before: natural forests, a river, a valley.

I was so grateful for that time to appreciate what was literally on the front door.

I love the sense of community in rural Ireland too. Nobody uses the front door in the country side. Any callers come to your back door. I find that really homely.

If the front door bell ring, you know it's a sales person or a politician canvassing 😆

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I set up my current lair in the attic of a disused wing of Leinster House during the 17th century. It was previously used as a private apartment by the illicit mistress/close friend of the Marquess of Kildare. I claimed her one evening after following her home from a ball she attended at the Mansion house held in honour of the late Earl of Inchiquin. The marquess sealed the door shut after his aide de comp removed her mortal remains for fear of retribution from one of King George III's secret rent boy lovers, with whom she often shared her bed with.

I spend my daylight hours resting, arms folded across my chest, in a 13th century mahogany coffin I stole from an ancient orthodox monastery once located high in the Caucasus mountains near Eastern Georgia. It is reputed to have once held the sarcophagus of Attila the Hun. The inside is magnificently preserved in 3rd century authentic Szechuan worm silk, fermented in mint seed and cumin extract. The hues of dark purple are still fervently puerile and I have never found a more comfortable " my space " in all my long immortal existence.

The now boarded up attic is a fantastic hideaway, guarded unwittingly by the most gormless and inept Garda Síochána the Irish State Service has ever employed. They spend all their night duty shifts playing late night poker games or screwing expensive sex workers smuggled in by special branch alcoholics who get locked in to the Dáil bar downstairs. You would be amazed that goes on in there after hours.

One of the benefits of being an immortal vampire lord is that I can take the form of any living creature during the night hours. This comes in useful when getting around. Even the fairies are baffled by my whereabouts at times.

I plan to move to the US in around 3 or 4 hundred years, hopefully by then it will have nurtured a schism of culture? As thing's are it is failing terribly to convince me it is worth considering at all? They are the modern equivalent of a deranged grouping of Teutonic Vandals, raping and pillaging their putrid existence of perverted greed for their own benefit.

Keep on rocking in the free world mortals. Be kind, live a little, embrace your passions?

• Advertisement

Yes it is very manicured. It would be far nicer if it were wilder 😊 They are my favourite types and go particularly well with rambling old houses.

sorry - not reading that - no offence - mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Although I lived there for years, and enjoyed my time there immensely, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than even drive up to Dublin anymore. I've been assimilated to this country life and could never be happy living in the big smoke again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I was born and grew up in the countryside, spent a decade in Dublin going to college and first job before moving to Zürich for another decade or so of work. I eventually ended up in a village on the edge of the Emmenthal, where I have been for over 25 years. On a warm summer night, with the windows open, you hear the cow bell, get the smell of freshly cut grass and hear the odd freight train off in the distance - a nice way to fall asleep.

Its OK to visit the city every couple of years but I would not want to live there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,500 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A primarily residential neighbourhood of Dublin…

generally safe, quiet and a nice area.

It’s close and walkable to convenience shops in different directions such as Gala, Centra , Spar, alo to the post office, my GP, big supermarket 5 minutes away, a good barber there too… area is reasonably served by public transport, was better though before they cancelled one route quite inexplicably, my gym is a 4 minute drive away.

not a major effort to get to the city, Dublin airport is accessible by car so if I don’t get lifts a taxi won’t break the bank

no desire to move…

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭iniscealtra

Yes. Grew up rural on a farm and lived it.Lived in a city for University and first two years of work. I then activly choose not to work in cities and rented in the countryside mostly. I lived in my husbands village for 10 years but found it too claustrophobic. Its a lovely village but I found it uncomfortable due to lack of privacy. Small overlooked garden. His family lived in the five neighbouring houses. Bought a place múch more rural with a few acres of land. 15 minute drive to the shop. I love the access to nature on the doorstep and have good neighbours. Great peace of mind. Best decision we ever made.

It is lovely being out here in such a peaceful, beautiful and private place and no need of any services beyond basic medical care. . IF needed. Apart from repeat prescriptions via the receptionist I have had no GP contact for literally years now. People have lived out on the islands for centuries and folk look out for each other , No idea what 'geriatric services' are... Being old is not an illness or a medical condition..

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Grew up in the south side of Dublin near the mountains and dundrum a 30 minute walk or just 1 bus service to get anywhere near town absolutely miss it so much, now based for 18 years in Kildare not far from the Curragh and only 2 buses a day in or out of the town, luckily we drive there's all the amenities needed but it's never felt like home. Walking in my mams front door it's Dublin it's home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Born and raised in North Dublin along the coast and living here all my life. I dont think I could live more than a walk from the sea, eveyones different though. Easy access to everything you need (including the airport for short breaks) and the countryside is close by when you really want to switch off. Family in all corners of the Island, north, south east and west and I enjoy visiting there when I can.

It's a fine place and worth fighting for (a stricter Judiciary).

Advertisement