If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mental health

  • 23-01-2023 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

    Hello all,my mother has severe depression and needs to go into hospital asap,we have tried st John of god's,and st Patricks and no joy,would anyone have any advice on what to do,we are at our withs end,thanks all

    Post edited by Gremlinertia on


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

    Why does she need to go into hospital and who decided this? Bring her to A&E if it’s actually urgent.

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

    Is she under the care of a consultant psychiatrist and has she health insurance? St Patrick’s Hospital has a smaller residential clinic in Lucan, St Edmundsbury. As far as I know St Vincent’s mental health hospital is a public facility…

    Their website is terrible and not even secure, would hope their patients services are better.

    Mental Health services have become a very neglected area compared to decades ago when my father suffered from depression and got prompt treatment. - serving exiled talent

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

    Have you considered counselling? Speaking to your g.p about possible medications to help out?

  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

    OP this is not the place to get help. Speak to your or your mams GP. She may be depressed but what exactly is the hospital supposed to exactly? Unless she’s at severe risk of harming herself or others a hospital stay will be very unlikely to help.

    If she’s at risk of doing so, the Gardai or A&E if safe to do. If she could potentially harm someone while intervening in any self harm attempt then please call the Gardai. They will keep her safe until a doctor can address the situation, but that’s only in severe cases of emergency.

  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 58,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

    Am closing thread - OP contact Gardai/ambulance for emergency if she/other is in danger

    Please also consider posting in the Long Term Illness Forum here:


  • Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.