Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching - Pick the date?

• 23-01-2023 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

My contract is up next month (OpenEir FTTH). Want to switch to another provider, but ideally I'd like to time the switch so it happens the day my contract ends. Does anyone know if you can pick the date when signing up to a new provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you call them they can generally give you specific installation dates. Doing just that with sky today. They can schedule for a max of 28 days in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I thought in most cases starting a contract with a new provider is separate to cancelling the old one?

So you could sign up with one and cancel the other when your contact ends. You would likely be double charged for the overlap period so probably best to leave it as late as you can

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

Not with broadband and usually mobile because the new provider is letting the old one know they’re taking over. Your line can’t be occupied by more than one ISP at a time same as switching your electricity provider I guess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

OP you might as well go ahead and switch ASAP. With a month or just less than that left on the contract no one’s going to care. If you plan to do things exactly as per the contract, you technically need to give them 31 days notice too. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Oh yeah, fair point

My last switch was from Virgin to Vodafone so it was possible for both to run alongside each other, but for shared infrastructure then it would make sense you can't have both at once

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭spuddy

Do I have to inform the old provider, or is that taken care of by the new provider stepping in?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭spuddy

Quick update, I called up my current provider who basically said, providing the switch happens after the end of the contract, there'll be no issues. They provided the UAN and CRN and told me to pass this info onto the new provider.

Post edited by spuddy on

Advertisement