Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I adjust this on an old gas boiler

• 22-01-2023 6:19pm

I'm trying to bleed rads but the pressure in the boiler is low so I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the pressure.

It's a DEA CLIP 24 FR model, dating back to 2006. I could only find instructions in Italian and Spanish and Google translate didn't get me to a solution. Pdf link to Italian instructions

As far as I can tell, per page 5,I need to adjust the valve marked #10, but what I can physically see is different

This is what I have below the boiler

A closer view

Is it the brass coloured flathead that I need to adjust?

Appreciate any tips on how to proceed or if this should only be messed with by a gas technician, please let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Pete67

You are looking at the primary heating circuit flow and return (3/4 inch copper pipes) and the gas supply to the boiler (1/2 inch copper with yellow valve handle), those valves should all be in the fully open position and have nothing to do with pressurising the system. You need to look elsewhere - perhaps in the hot press or any other exposed pipes where the filling loop might be located, if there is one.

Many heating systems were installed without a filling loop, using the so-called 'semi-sealed' system, where the system is filled from the cold water cistern in the attic via non-return valve. If this is the case you will not be able to get the pressure much higher than 0.2 to 0.5 bar at best.

A bit more googling and I think I need to remove the front cover. Going by this video, the blue yoke he turns is what I need to adjust once the temp drops on the boiler

A few follow up questions

1. Am I right about the blue valve?
    2. Am I ok to do this myself?
    3. Is there any watchout for removing the front cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Pete67

You need an RGI if you need to remove the front cover. There is no sign of a mains water supply to the boiler in the pictures you have posted so it is unlikely that you can pressurise it from here. As I said above, look elsewhere.

You need an RGI if you need to remove the front cover. 

Cheers, I'll do that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Post a picture of the plumbing in the hot press. There might even be a gauge in there.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

The hot press is a mess but no gauge. Only pipes, the switchover box (doesn't work and no idea if thats the right name, the thing that swaps between heating the water and the rads) and the water tank.

To be honest the whole system is on the plan for replacement this year or next as it was very poorly done to begin with. We're just trying to limp through without spending too much on it until we have enough to do a replacement system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭John.G

You might be looking at something like below.

Advertisement