Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Argos to close all Irish stores starting March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does that include NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Surely Argos is a busy store? Does good business?

I know the one in Derry would anyway. Use it a lot. Its generally busy when in.

Maybe it's a Brexit or cross border related issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Will there be any good closing down deals from this I wonder. Must keep a watch for some.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 63,400 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Long ago outsripped by the ease of shopping online. Haven't even browsed it's catalogue in must be 5 years. As somebody is saying on RTE now, business model no longer feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Slime Princess

probably not, just circulate stock back in to the UK stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They'll do a sale, but I'd say the majority of stock will be dispersed to other Argos stores in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭Furze99

Bought a bit of stuff in Argos over the years and never had any problem at all with replacements if issues with goods. Had an insurance thing as well which was worth it for more delicate goods - must have replaced several headphone sets like this with no quibble. Which is quite the contrast with the likes of others who want you to send it off to some address at your own expense.

But catalogue shopping is dead & gone. Amazon? haven't bought anything off them since Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

All shops to close by June 24th. The Waterford one has looked a bit down on its luck the last few days that I’ve been in. Still a shock. They must have started operating here nearly 30 years ago.

The Range opening here probably had an impact too. It is essentially an Argos you can walk around.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

• Completely outdated business model, surprised they managed to hold on this long. The rent on their storerooms alone must be astronomical.

Have to laugh at the amazon comments, as if this is some mom and pop independent retailer or something, instead of a gigantic UK behemoth with almost half a billion in revenue each quarter. They were essentially a B&M version of Amazon before Bezos inherited his blood money, trying to be a jack-of-all-trades kind of shop, while not being exceptionally good at anything.

Their reservation system is all I'll miss about them, really.

• Advertisement

I think the same group own Homebase and Argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭blarney_boy

Yeah, like a lot of other posters, I haven't shopped in Argos for ages (save for the odd bargain alert :-)

They have a number of stores in Cork, all in prime retail locations and as others have mentioned, the annual rent / rates on these must be colossal

Shame to see them go, but that's capitalism . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not recently.

edit: Home Retail Group used to own both, then they sold Homebase to some Australian crowd and then Sainsbury's bought Home Retail Group.

I remember working in Homebase back in college and getting a 10% Argos discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭SteM

I seem to recall going to one in the UK when I was a kid and the stuff you ordered from the catalogue came out from the back on a conveyer belt for you to pick up. Maybe I'm misremembering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement