Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE IT job vs Public/Civil service IT roles

Options
  • 15-01-2023 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Have an offer for a HSE IT role. Currently working in Public Sector. Also have attended some civil service IT role interviews and waiting for its result.

Anyone working in a HSE IT role?

How is the work environment and career progression options? Is there an option for a hybrid work model?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

Interested in this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭floyd333

I work in eHealth for the HSE. eHealth is basically the IT department. There are over 800 people working for eHealth. There are about 9 sub teams and each team has its own culture/ ways of working.

I'm working there 6 months. I like it so far. Our team is fully remote. Although, HSE management have recently launched a blended working policy that states nobody should work from home 100%.

There are plenty of opportunities for career development/ promotion.

I have experience in other parts of the public sector and I have found the HSE less bureaucratic.

Also just to note, it can take up.to 4 or 5 months from accepting the offer to actually starting.

@floyd333 Is the 4 or 5 month timeline only applicable to eHealth or all NRS roles as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Thanks for this, what kind of work does your area do? Infrastructure or software dev?

• Advertisement

@floyd333 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭floyd333

Sorry for the late reply, I'm not on boards much. I only know about eHealth. It took me 5 months from interview to start date.

@floyd333 No problem thanks. How long after your interview did they request documentation, references, medicals etc. Just trying to compare it to my timelines roughly

If you had the option between a civil service AO role and Grade 6 HSE role, which would you take and why assuming you were still in the very early stages of your career?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Can you work a week remotely outside the country, do they have that flexibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 dat6

No public body permits this with the exception of when sent working abroad (eg in embassy for Dept of Foreign Affairs).

It’s difficult to answer this without specifics.

All in all, personally I’d prefer the Civil service AO when starting off. The CS overall has a reputation for being organised and supportive, there is a clear progression path. Depending on the candidate and the manager, an AO can be a fantastic graduate programme - and offers good opportunities for learning and professional development.

There are good and bad areas in both CS and the HSE.

I would strongly recommend you meet with both potential managers before making up your mind. Read this thread and other threads. Do your research on everything you can and then make an informed decision.

HTH!

@dat6 Hi, thanks for that. They are both ICT roles. The AO ICT role would be in Revenue if that made any difference.

Revenue have a good reputation for staff development, again this is vague not knowing what you’ll be doing and your interests. Talk to the hiring manager and learn more about the role, see if it’s something you’d like. Revenue also have an office in Limerick and Dublin, so may be more attractive for some if you wanted an option to move to Limerick in time. The HSE seem flexible on location in eHealth.

Advertisement