If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Court advice!!

  • 08-01-2023 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

    Hi I’m due in court for section 4 public disorder drunk in public next week. Do i need a solicitor? It’s my first time in court. I’ve done 3 months in rehab since and would that come in handy


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

    yes you should get a solicitor to represent you, its pretty intimidating, waiting for your case and if you dont hear your name called your solicitor will

    Dundalk, Co. Louth

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,905 ✭✭✭✭Esel

    I would...

    Not your ornery onager

  • Registered Users Posts: 34 private89

    Yes always better to have a solicitor in court Can usually just talk to one before court. If it is your first date in court it will probably be adjourned.

    Yeah the 3 months in rehab will look very good. Plenty of lads only think about doing that when they are looking at a sentence.

    Your charge is pretty minor so you should be fine.

  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

    depending on how much you earn per week and if you have no assets you might qualify for legal aid.

    on the first day the matter will just be put back to another date for a plea/date for hearing. if you do not have a solicitor you should ask the judge if you qualify for legal aid and then make a full disclosure request for cctv etc.

    the three months in rehab will be looked on favourably by a judge granted you have not picked up any charges since. if you have no previous also everything should be fine for you but you should not put in a plea without speaking to a solicitor first.

  • Registered Users Posts: 39,998 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

    given the max fine for a section 4 offence is €100 legal aid is very unlikely.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

  • Registered Users Posts: 39,998 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

    You're right, it was updated in 2020 to €500. Still not going to get legal aid though.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

    No way would there be legal aid. A legal aid solicitor might be prepared to deal with it for a relatively low fee.