Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical officer - dilemma

Options
  • 19-12-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi, my wife is working in pharmaceuticals in the manufacturing department on a permanent role. It has shift duties. At times it's hectic but she enjoys it. It gives around 41k, health insurance. Recently she got the job in local government as a clerical officer on grade 3. Salary is very low which is 25k. She has been a bit techie but would be in the admin area with this new role. We are also trying to get mortgage. We are just confused if she should go for it. None of my contacts work in government or public sector on admin roles. So we do not know pro and cons with it or future circumstances to consider for the decision. Just wanted the viewpoints if she should go for it.

Thanks

Atwal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Don't move jobs until the mortgage is sorted, you can borrow more in current roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Leave a job she likes for €16k per year less than her current salary?

What am I missing here, why would this even be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Augme

Never worked there directly but I'd be reluctant. From what I've heard they are generally stuck in the stoneage when it comes to a lot of work practices.

If your wife enjoys life being hectic and being a busy job then the work culture in a local authority could be quite a culture shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

If she wants a safe job for life then yes go for it but if shes secure if her current role there is no point in leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you plan to have children? Is maternity leave in the MNC paid? How could childcare work if she was on shift-work?

Is there a difference in the commute?

Not that though it's a 16k pay drop, it's only 8k after tax. And there are pay increments every year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Right and then they are gone to take a serious cut in income and be unable to pay it back. This is the kind on nonsense that wiped people out in the last recession. If you need the loan, you need the income to repay it or you could in up in serious financial difficulties that could take decades to recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Ah here chill out, if 2 people are working they will be ok to repay the loan. Best to secure the mortgage when you have a permanent job and are passed probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

And if the OP his (?) wife are planning a family, they are likely to have childcare costs - working in the civil or public service will give them good opportunitiers to minimise these costs e.g. flexi-time

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

Who's to say they're gonna borrow the max? If they swap roles then they are pushing out the process by a year, why wait when you could do it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Exactly my point. And they'll get paid maternity leave, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

From a pure salary perspective, when you take into account other pay/pension related deductions, the new take home will be about €1785 a month, about €930 a month less than what she is currently earning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I wouldn't do it. Too much of salary difference. Once the kids are in school you might want to get back to a higher salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

Pros of staying in current job:

1. Higher salary, better chance of mortgage approval (or approval for higher amount)

2. She enjoys it

Pros of moving to civil service:

1. It will likely not be hectic in any way work wise

2. There likely won't be shift work involved

3. There are predefined salary increments and there is no stress involved as part of yearly performance reviews (pmds)

4. There will be access to flexitime and (most likely) some hybrid working opportunities (2 days home 3 days in the office)

5. If she has any decent work ethic and can promote herself via application forms and interviews, getting further promotions isn't that difficult once you complete probation and wait till year 2.

Advertisement