Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ballinlough/ Douglas Primary Schools

• 29-11-2022 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I was hoping that someone with experience of primary schools in Ballinlough could tell me if Our Lady of Lourdes or Eglantine is a better school. I don’t know much about either other than that Eglantine is a very large school with around 70 students per year and Our Lady of Lourdes is a much smaller school with about 25 students per year. If anyone knows anything about either and which school would be considered a better school, can you please let me know? I really don’t know a whole pile about either! Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Which is closer to your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

They are pretty much the same distance! We are in the final stages of buying a house. Just neither my husband nor I grew up in the area so we don’t have a clue about schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think they both have decent reputations, really. But take that for what it's worth as I don't have children,but I did grow up in the general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Both good schools, mine went to Lady of Lourdes and can't speak highly enough of it, lovely 'small' school feel. Mary Lucey the principal taught there for years beforehand so really knows the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Both excellent schools. I attended one of those myself, and my children had friends in both at that age.

Which you chose is down to your own preference I'd say, and your child's personality. Some children love bigger schools, and more opportunities to make loads of friends. Other's find that big school and loads of people overwhelming.

And on the other hand, some children might find the small group of friends limiting.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I also attended one of those schools donkeys years ago, and I generally loved it. I think both schools have excellent reputations and I know people who have sent their daughters to both and are very happy with them. I doubt there's much to set them apart in terms of one being "better" than the other academically, so maybe look at whether there are other factors that set them apart that would appeal to your kids, such as access to extracurricular activities etc?

Advertisement